Thursday, September 10, 2026

What You Missed - KoSD Questing 4

 By: Owen “Kalashai” Lacey,  Justin “Alder” Thibeault, and Kanik “Corvus” Hollan


This week, read three different perspectives from the heroes who traveled into the lands of Blackavar and Slumbertimeland!



Kalashai:

Last week the heroes of the Realms returned once more to Blackavar, and its harrowed storyland hidden behind the normal-seeming kingdom. I had not been there last year, though to my understanding our return this time was to finish some tasks that were missed last year and needed completion. This was still part of what has been called “chapter 1” of the Slumbertimeland story.

On Friday night we met Zeek Bardus, brother of Gerick, who arrived to demand that his brother return home at once. Gerick refused, and attempted to stay hidden among us until his brother left. He claimed to have no interest in ruling Blackavar, despite being the descendent of the first ruler of the nation.

Following this slight political intrigue, we were met by Charlotte, of web-weaving fame, who informed us that we needed to travel back into the basement of the story in order to wrap up some final tasks. That night we were seeking out part of Danny’s story, helping him collect his things from around the house and escape bandits ransacking his village. Our journey was beset by Harrowed Ones, and a three-headed dog which needed its collars switched around.
Once inside the story we grouped up tightly, and snuck through the darkness, evading the bandits from the tale until we had all four of Danny’s belongings: an owl, a bag, a letter, and a ring. We fought our way back to the town square with them, where we made it safely out of the story and back into Blackavar.


The next day we were met in Blackavar by Bloody Snow, a character from a fairy tale, and also Baron Gautier’s new wife. She asked us to retrieve her mirror from the basement in exchange for her spare mirror. When we found the shards of the mirror, creatures were appearing from it that learned our abilities when we did it in front of them. After some unwise placement of the mirror near the group trying to solve puzzles, we got it located far away, and eventually reforged into a complete mirror.

We also put together a collection of books, and while we didn’t quite get them lined up right….we totally did actually and we found a book that can occasionally share information about the Story as well as instructions for a ritual to fix Danny’s mother’s ring.

After some more time around Blackavar, during which we encountered some trolls and a wishing well, some hellhounds which were really just big puppies (and which we did not skin and sell, despite some requests otherwise), we were finally ready to travel into the basement for the final time, fix the ring, and move on to Chapter 2.

The basement was very dark at this point, and Harrowed Ones were crawling out of every crack. The furnace in the corner was lit, and scarecrows were running themselves into it, causing massive bursts of flame that almost took out the entire group at one point. Slowly the ritual was put together under the guidance of Rosetta, and when it was complete we shaped the ring back together using the materials we had collected over the last two days. Once we did, however, something came out from under the stairs…

A giant monster with glowing orange eyes and too many limbs crawled out and started to consume us if we went too close, inflicting many of us with terror. We slowly beat it back, illuminating it with lanterns and any light we could find to keep it at bay. When it finally went down, the shadows fell away, and it was just a rat, running around the basement. With the ring reforged and the monster under the stairs reduced to a simple rat, we left the basement and chapter 1 behind.

While I look forward to moving ahead in the story, I fear what the chapters ahead may bring. This simple visit alone claimed three more champions for the Author’s generals, to go alongside the champion of War already among us. But surely nothing could go horribly wrong, with as prepared as we are.


Oh, and Sunday we collected the various houses of Blackavar, found or made gifts, and held a birthday party for Danny’s 7th birthday. To my knowledge he was given a sword, a puppy, and cake.



Alder:

Unto My Lady and her counsel, I have compiled a recount of the past few days endeavors. I do pray that this report is of service to you and that you receive it with the warm regards I so attach unto it.


Starting with the night of our arrival, which was laden with the muggy air of late summer, Garick, of House Bardus was being accosted by his younger brother Zeek Bardus. While I was not privy to all of the conversations and "conversations" the two brothers had, I was able to with the aid of my compatriots, prevent the brothers from shedding any blood. I spoke with Garick to understand his disagreements with his brother in both an attempt to defend him and to get a better grasp on the affairs of House Bardus. Shortly thereafter Miss Charlotte once again greeted us, this time from outside the Basement. While Magus Prime Sir James Swift could not be with us on that night, his squire, Magus August, was certain to send his regards and well wishes. After the party exchanged pleasantries and introductions we returned to the Door of the Basement. Who, rightfully, chastised us for not closing the door behind us upon our last entrance into the Basement. Once inside that dank and narrow staircase, we were met by a 3 headed hellhound, with a tail far stronger than any labrador. After being felled by that dastardly tail more than once, I was informed that the hound was tameable. And to help the young Daniel face his fear I shrunk the "big scary hellhound" down to the size of a figurine. And Daniel was working on being less scared of Dot, Blot, and Spot.


As time passed we found ourselves inside of a memory. The memory of the night poor Daniel was scared beyond measure and traumatized. As we wandered through this memory, Ser Vesper and his most unorthodox interpretation of stealth enabled us to collect one of the lost items Daniel's mother sent us to collect. This is where I found the missing piece of the Bardus will, My Lady, well more accurately where I apprehended the piece from being lost amongst my compatriots many pouches and pockets. And as we exited the Basement, at the request of the Door, I ensured that we closed the door.


At the start of the next day we were "entertained" by some dragons. Well, more accurately they were the forms of dragons who are sleeping elsewhere. It is rather confusing if I am being so honest, but I digress. As we prepared to reenter the Basement we were met with the new Lady Gauthier, and she asked of us to return her beautiful mirror to her. We accepted her request with some hesitation, mostly due to her rather apathetic mannerisms. If she truly cared, why seem so unbothered. Upon our return from the Basement, again, the matter of the Will was discussed and addressed. Although I do not truly believe a conclusion was had. I also realize I have rambled too long My Lady. I shall conclude with haste.


I cannot thank you enough My Lady for the assistance with our final return to the basement to conquer young Daniel's greatest fear. The Monster Under the Stairs was a fierce foe, and without your guidance and research we would never have been able to defeat it. And as I am sure Kellen informed you, the fearsome beast was merely a rat. The mind of a child never ceases to amaze. Lastly, within the Basement, we encountered a wedding dress bearing the Bardus crest and while I personally did not understand its haunting nature, I was able to confirm that it did belong to Daniel's mother, further giving proof to Daniel Lafelle being the rightful heir to the Bardus name.


And with that, my report is concluded. I do hope this missive finds you in good spirits and even better health My Lady. Do share my well wishes with Miss Samantha and of course Kellen and Finnian. I hope to see them again soon. I look forward to your correspondence My Lady, and to continue to aid you and your family.


In service and kindness,

Alder Blackthorn

Cleric of Vandor

Servant of the People



Corvus:

When we arrIved In Blackavar Zeek Bardus came lookIng for GerIk hIs brother who no longer held the tItle of a Bardus. Zeek wanted GerIk to return to the famIly, but after a seance to theIr mother she was the one who told GerIk to leave the famIly. There was also a lIght around that changed colors by the person who touched It, but I'm not sure what It meant. We entered the basement wIth Charlotte. We helped Danny face hIs fears. There was thIs very scary and bIg three headed dog, we needed collars flIpped so It would shrInk down and be less scary. Charlotte led us to a web of hers. We had a near total party kIll on one sIde of the web as a majorIty of our casters had made It through the web and we were beIng attacked by harrowed, Alder really struggled wIth a daIsy chaIn to get a group healIng. After several threads were cut from Charlotte's web we were able to get through, It seems that RaIndrop promIsed Charlotte to restore the cut threads. A lIght appeared wIth the voIce of Danny's mother, beckonIng us InsIde to hIde an IllusIoary small room. Then we were told we had to stay small and quIet as we snuck around to avoId gettIng kIlled by patrollIng harrowed bandIts around an enlarged basement as we looked for Danny's owl, bag, letter and a rIng and once we got the rIng we had to rush back to the door of the basement at back out. After that we rested for the nIght. The next day we re-entered the basement to clean It up, gettIng really heavy letter cubes and a pIle of books that we had to sort through 26 dIfferent alphabets to decIpher. Once the books were organIzed they formed Into a book named: St Cobblers Home For Lost Sole’s. Once the basement was cleaned up we went back Into Blackavar proper where there was dIscussIon over a wIll, debatIng who was the proper owner of the wIll but also who was the rIghtful heIr to the Bardus famIly, because It seems Zeek Lefelle denounced the Bardus lIne meanIng that young Danny would be the true heIr. DurIng these negotIatIons Second fought V and Lupa In defense of a puppy named BIxby, although I only heard It and dId not wItness It myself. Bloody Snow also offered to tell us where and when the storm In the next chapter would hIt In exchange for a rather large gem from Danny's mother's rIng, we declIned her offers and claIms, Instead askIng the house Taunton to look Into the growIng stone. I accompanIed them brIngIng the stone to theIr estate and had tea wIth them. After my tea War and Death showed up, a few nIghts before our adventures In Blackavar I had a rather IntImIdatIng dream about War so I dId my best to hIde from them, but they were relentless In theIr pursuIt, tellIng me to do better and to apologIze for lookIng Into AzImuth's sword. After thIs InteractIon I wanted far away from War, as I was goIng to help a goat get theIr brIdge back RaIndrop was doIng a rItual to gIve sentIence to the owl plushIe we had carrIed the prevIous nIght. The goat who needed theIr brIdge back was named RIley and we had to fIght some orcs to get to the othersIde where there was a wIshIng well that seemed genuIne In fulfIllIng wIshes. Although I do remember Bogen wIshIng for an ItalIan sub and he dId not get the sandwIch... SwIft and Harkle dId a rItual that seems to have alIgned them both as the champIons of PestIlence, although I do not know the detaIls. We then went back to the maIn area of Blackavar where RaIndrop's owl frIend had questIons for us that they would reward correct answers wIth some sort of boon. Then we had dInner whIch was some lovely zItI. However after the dInner break I was stIll hungry, I had three whole bowls of pasta and the hunger dId not end. I had a vIsIon whIle tIme moved faster for only me and I saw who I now belIeve to be War and FamIne before me. It seems that after that vIsIon FamIne chose me as theIr champIon, leadIng to an unrelentIng hunger for the rest of our tIme In Blackavar, I also got very Harrowed as a result. Once we got Into the basement once more I used a dIvIne aId to remove some of my Harrowed but couldn't get rId of all of It. WhIle I was occupIed wIth that there was some sort of hungry dress, although I dId not Interact much wIth It for fear FamIne's Influence on me would be too great. Then there were scarecrow goIng Into a furnace and as we fought them and the Harrowed ones I learned that Lupa had been dealIng wIth a bloodlust of sorts and for the rest of our tIme In the basement I was along theIr sIde helpIng where I could to manage the bloodlust and not IndIrectly mess up the puzzle and rItual that was happenIng. When the monster from under the staIrs emerged I maInly kept to the edges to help others fIght where I could not. The monster ended up beIng a rat. That nIght after we returned to Blackavar I trIed to seance FamIne but got no response. The next day was Danny's bIrthday and we went around delIverIng InvItatIons to all of the houses of Blackavar and goIng on dIfferent quests to retrIeve gIfts for Danny, the day endIng In the Danny's 7th bIrthday party!