Thursday, March 14, 2024

Maker's Space with Kyle “Killian” Yazinka

Organized by: Justin "J'ortsa" Thibeault

Makers Space is a View series about interviewing the makers, crafters, and artificers of the Realms and sharing their creations with everyone! I know I take pride in my work so I know you all must as well. That being said, how often do you get to humbly (or not so humbly) brag about your creations, so this is your outlet! Tell me everything!!

1. What is your OOC name?

Kyle Yazinka

2. What is your character's name?

Killian

Photo courtesy of Steve Nelson via Facebook

3. What crafting mediums do you typically work in?

Any weapon cores. Bamboo, PVC, fiberglass

4. What is your favorite medium to work with? Why is it your favorite?

Bamboo weapons: easiest, cheapest, and lightest weapon material we use.

5. What is the most challenging part of working with this medium for you? How did you overcome it?

I tend to go for the lightest piece for competitive fighting and the bamboo tends to break faster. I’ve just been sacrificing a bit of weight for stronger bamboo.

6. What is the piece you are most proud of? Why?

My first win for QoH weapons smith. Tourney was for a 1 path combo. Made a single short, dagger combo with a lightning bolt motif. I used glow in the dark tape.

Photo courtesy of View Staff

7. What is the piece you have done most recently that you are allowed to share? Tell us about it!

I’m in the process of remaking an old magic weapon prop. Breaking it down to the old fiberglass core and making more modern and lighter.

8. What is the earliest piece you made? How long ago did you make it?

I’ve made my own weapons since I started in 2003. Using heavy wall PVC and spiral taping the foam on. We’ve come a long way in weapons.

9. What medium do you wish to learn more about or have been interested in? 

Leather working 

10. What advice do you have for the rest of the community when it comes to crafting and making?

Take your time. If you plan on making something, carve out a huge chunk of your day just to work on it. And if it’s not close to finished by the end of the time don’t rush through it to finish it.

11. What inspires you to do what you do? 

I’m very specific about the weapons I like to fight with. In this competitive combat system, any leg up on your opponent helps. So, I make weapons to the specifics the person wants to help them in the game.

12. Is there anything else you really wanna share with us? Any upcoming projects, etc.?

The plastidip weapons look really cool and more realistic but in a high combat game, they hurt more than pipe foam with socks. So, I tend to stay away from making those weapons. 


Photo courtesy of Bri Meisser via Facebook


If you have any questions or would like to be interviewed, please send a DM to Justin Thibeault (spartan_a239 on Discord)