Wednesday, November 30, 2011

10 Questions - Richard "Quinn" Pavis

Richard "Quinn" Pavis

Photo by Foren Mike
How long have you been playing?
Since Knights of the Eternal Flame Tournament '09.  So, 3 years this February.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
It's hard to say exactly what has changed, since I've been in the game such a short time.  However, I've seen a number of important events, I've seen Embrace Death nerfed, fiberglass passed, Wayland defeated and the Munuko rediscovered.  More than everything I've seen the game grow rather than change.

Who have you learned the most from?
Magically, I learned the most from the Order of the Magi.  Through both direct instruction and indirect questions, I've learned quite a lot from the order as a whole.
Combat wise, I've learned from everyone who's ever beaten me.  I make it a point to spar with everyone I can.  I can't make it to every fight practice, but I try to learn from every death.  Even if the only lesson I learn is that I can't fight with a shield.

What was your best moment IC?
Being crowned King of a new world, rallying my people together in a time of danger, and facing a Dragon God in single combat, armed with the Sword and Shield of Destiny.

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
On staff for Beyond the Hag and Hungry Goblin, I gave out some Dissention key phrases to certain PC's.   Later when the PC's encountered a certain Bois, I got to yell fun things like "The sun has set forever" and "The darkness has no end".  Then I got to watch the PC's scramble around not only dealing with this new threat, but trying to determine where it came from.  It was great seeing a new mechanic work well.

Photo by Douglas Fisher



















What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
A way to add variety without unbalancing the game.  Also a way to engage the entire event site rather than a select group (I'm guilty of this as well.)
Oh, and puzzles that don't involve rune translations, or those little wooden puzzles where the pieces get lost all the time.

What advice would you give new players?
Listen.  Spar.  Ask Questions. NPC.
Quite often important information on a quest is said directly to the PC's.
Spar often.  Even spellcasters need to practice their verbals and footwork.
When asking questions try not to be pompous or arrogant.  Even if someone is playing a jerk PC or NPC, chances are they are willing to help a new player out.
NPC-ing is often a fun way to practice a new weapon combo, and call armor you don't have to wear.  Also, NPCing tends to be free.

What do you love most about the game?
The careful balance between tone and fun.  Various modern conveniences are allowed because they add more fun than the anachronism detracts.  I'm not sure about other people, but most of the time I don't even see cars, camp chairs, and the like while questing.

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Nate Soule

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Nope.