Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fresh Faces - Justin "Syroc" Pluff

Justin "Syroc" Pluff

Photo by Angela Gray
How did you learn about Realms?
I first learned about Realms from my friends Kevin, and Deb Weldell (Lord Leo and Lady Lina of the Templar Eternis)

How many event have you been to?
At least 11 that I can think of off of the top of my head.

Have you ever LARP’ed before?  If so tell us about it?
I have not been in an official LARP before Realms, however I have been to a few SCA events and I have Boffed a few times before hand.
 
What is your character like?  Where are they from? What is their race? What is important to them?
Syroc is a kind hearted noble rogue. His methods may seem shady at times but he always holds true to his own sense of honor. He is a protecter and will go all out to save those he cares for. He has sworn an oath of the Guardians and puts his task above all else, above friend, family, nation, or god. He seeks to always do the Greatest good, not just the greater good.

What do you remember most about your first event?
My first event was TOC. I was amazed so see how many people were involved in Realms. That first event I started to make friends with some of the most amazing people I know. I also learned a valuable lesson that event.  When I first arrived I was asked to help someone unload their car. I was rewarded with some gold. What I failed to realize was just how much gold. It amounted to 150 Gold. I thought it was just a few silver and not worth much.... So naturally I spent it all on dancing girls and only realized much later just how much I gave away haha.
 
Photo by Deb Weldell

What things have helped to make you feel welcome in game?
The wonderful people I have met along the way. I have received great encouragement from people. I have felt very honored as a newbie to have received a significant amount of recognition from others in the realms for the amount of effort I have put into my character and the level at which I play.

What parts of the game do you find most challenging?
In my experiences I have found different aspect challenging. When I first started out I recall being frustrated at being at events with nothing but a mundane weapon and not being able to affect anything. Other things I have noticed is sometimes at events there are groups who only focus on their own people and others get left behind. I recall being at one event trying to raise a group of four or more people that everyone had left behind. I was using a 200s seed of life while I was fighting off three demons by myself. Needless to say it didn't end well. But I have also seen groups go out of their way to help others so I think there is hope. :)

Do you have any game related goals (as either a player or character)?
Currently Syroc is deep into On the Brink Plot, and seeks to do what ever it takes to stop the primordial of Light from destroying everything he has come to love. Also at some point I would like to establish a Guardians Guild.

What advice would you give other new players?
I think the best advice I can give is that if you want to be recognized and get into plot, you should take your character seriously. Obviously remember this is a game and you should have fun, but the more in character you get and the more you put forth the effort the more you will be noticed.

What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?
Honestly I'd say its the people I have met. Many of them I now call friends.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Realms is a wonderful opportunity to break away from the stress of the ordinary lives we all have to live. Take time and enjoy the company and the many adventures your super hero alter ego has.