Monday, September 15, 2014

How To-Leather Masks by Casey "Karmha" Lemay

Karmha Creations is known to make completely customized garb, tabards, gear and masks. Many love the masks I have made for many things like magic items, transformation spells, and even ones that can be attached to helms.

Here is a set by step guide on how I make my masks.

Things you will need:
leather 3-6oz (the thinner it is the more you can mold it)
a good razor blade knife
water
glue
a foam head (makes it a lot easier)
paint
leather tools or a wood burner for detailing
somewhat sturdy paper and pencil.

First I draw out a stencil. I start with a basic mask pattern you can get off google for a masquerade. I only draw out one side and add all my detailing. I always make the eye holes a little bigger for combat. Then either fold or tape another sheet of paper behind the sketch and cut out both halves at once (of course this is only if you want even sides you can always draw two separate sides and combine them).



Trace the stencil out on the leather and cut out your shape.


Get a bucket (I use an old tupperware pie pan I lost the cover to) and fill with water. Dip the whole mask in there. Don’t soak it too much for this step.

Take it out and lay your already drawn up stencil over the leather on the topside (not the fuzzy one) trace it with a dull pencil or and dull point of some kind, just enough to indent the leather and keep the design on it.

Once half the mask is traced just flip it over and trace out the other side. The pencil from your original drawing may rub off on that side but it is ok. You're wetting the mask again for molding so it will come off, and your are painting over it.

If your have leather tools like a tooling knife and stamps you can make the details pop. If not you can use wood burning tools (they cost around $20 at a craft store and can be used on all sorts of stuff).




Once all the details are done (here I used leather tools), add a dollop of Elmer's glue to the water you used before and mix. This may sound odd but it helps the leather hold it’s shape longer. I highly recommend using a foam head like you see here makes the process a lot easier. Before you start line it up on your face to make sure the eye holes are big enough and comfortable. This is the easiest time to fix the problem before moving forward.

Then start molding. Leather is a lot like a sheet of clay that wont rip, so play with it see what you can do to add depth and personality to the mask. If you go over the nose cut breathing holes or as you can see here I made the bottom of the nose one big hole. With the foam head you can use pins to hold it’s shape. Once you're happy I suggest letting it sit over night to dry.



Once your mask is dry you can start painting. I use just regular acrylics and haven’t had any issues so far. Airbrushing is good for mass production. You want to make sure to enhance all the details you spent time putting in with different colors or shading. Once done I spray with a sealant over the paint to prevent chipping.



Last step is to punch holes on the side where it hugs the head best. Use a ribbon, leather lace, or even a strap with buckle to secure it to the head.

Of course you can always just hit up Karmha Creations and something amazing will be created, but here's a how to for all you wanna be crafters. If you ever need any help or tips just let me know I usually tend to wander a bunch.- Casey/Karmha