Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Fireside Chat, The Magistrate of New Verai



This interview took me far from my comfort zone, in a couple of ways.  Fortunately, it was high summer, the best time of the year, and I enjoyed every moment of my trip.  Some say New Verai is a backwater nation, but what I saw was quite a lovely landscape.  I had so many questions about how the country worked, but very limited time with Lord Adio Eristu, the Magistrate, that I stuck to questions I found to be more interesting.  His home, of course, is stunning.  There are servants scurrying around.  They seemed healthy and happy, but I still do not know if they were slaves or not.  The two of us sat down to talk over tea.   Let me make a confession to you right now:  I was nervous.  This was a very new situation for me, a new country with new customs, and someone I didn't know very well.  I dove right in with questions.

"Tell us about your title and position in New Verai.  Please"


"As you already know, Lady Twenaria, I am the Magistrate of New Verai, a title I gained after the passing of my father, the former Lord Eristu. Together, we built this estate that you see before you - lovely, is it not? Not unlike yourself, if I may be so bold to add. I understand that we have already discussed that the title of Magistrate of New Verai was not passed on by inheritance, but I shall repeat it again for your readers: the title of Magistrate of New Verai was not passed on by inheritance. I worked for many years until I was the most appropriate selection to take the place of my late father. My older sister was given to Sultana at a young age, and she forfeited any claim to the estate at that point, meaning, that I was the only one left to bear the heavy burden of the most prominent house in New Verai. Hence why you take tea here New Verai with me this lovely day. How do you take it, do tell."Did he just.....I am sure I was blushing like an idiot at this point, but pushed on.


"Where do you live?"  


"Why, I live here, of course," he said, gesturing to the grand manor all around. "As I said, my late father - gods bless him - and I built this place from nothing over the course of many years, albeit at my behest. I had to persuade him that if we were to ever be taken seriously by the Royal Family in Old Verai then we had to look the part of distinguished Verai citizens. He eventually saw things my way and our partnership allowed this desert flower to bloom. Did you want to take a tour of the grounds, my lady? I daresay you would enjoy the menagerie, the baths, and I think you'll enjoy what I did to the master bedroom since my father's passing."


"Tell me what a normal day is like for you."


The Magistrate laughed at my question. "There is no such normal day in the courts of New Verai. Why, ever since we opened the borders to outs-- ahem, the fair folk of the Realms, I have heard the most extraordinary happenings. Oh, you were looking to find out my daily routine, perhaps? Well, I suppose the most interesting part for your readers may be about my position as Magistrate of New Verai. I am in charge of the courts of New Verai. Now, what that means is a bit of a - how would you put it? - a mixed bag. I hold municipal court, anything that doesn't require the Steward's - that would be Nertail - attention would fall under my jurisdiction. Land disputes, arson, larceny, you understand, right? Not only that, but I also have a strong hand in organizing the guards since they often have to apprehend suspects needed for my courtly investigations or to answer for justice passed in my court by the testimony of others."


"You have accomplished a lot in your life.  Tell me, what are you most proud of?"


"Most proud, you ask? Perhaps it would be best to answer with my greatest accomplishment. In the absence of the last Steward of New Verai, Cinnabar, I had this small backwater land in the palm of my hand. Sure, there was a moot of the religious leaders to decide the greatest affairs of state, of which I was one of them as a Priest of Ma'at. See, all the lawmakers are priests of Ma'at, sworn to serve justice, balance, and all. I was the utmost pinnacle of law in the land until the new Steward, Nertail, was appointed by the royal family. I made this small nation what it is today on the foundation laid down by my father, of course."


"Do you have personal heraldry?"


"Personal heraldry, you say?"   He pulled his shirt aside to show me a tattoo.   It is a black gavel ensnared by a coiling snake on a field of red. "The adjudicator's gavel and the asp, noble serpent of New Verai."  


"Rumor has it you are looking for a wife.  Are you lonely, or is this a requirement in your station?"


 "Lonely? How laughably wrong. I am what you might call "lone." Now, there is a great distinction between the two, my lady; one that often goes misunderstood. Feeling pitiful at your absence of companionship, depressed and incomplete? That is lonely. No, I am quite comfortable being my own person, content with the lack of peers in an exalted position such as my own. I am this way by choice, hence why I am lone. It is not required by any such law that I am to be wed, however, the prospect of a wife has much merit, whether it be for political purposes, love, or entertainment. Why, are you suggesting something?"

My ears were on fire, I am sure of it.  I managed not to stutter for the next question.  

"How do you spend your free time?  What do you do for fun?"


"There are many things I do for fun.  Why, I have quite a hand for cards - cribbage in particular - and I find it personally enjoyable to train with a blade in hand. Nothing like keeping the body fit to keep the mind sharp, eh? Sometimes I take long walks through New Verai, just to see the hardworking citizens continue to make this wonderful land into something greater than it was before."  He took a sip of his tea, and added  "And slave auctions can be fun. It's interesting to see how high one will have to bid to win the healthy slaves. To give them a better home than the common man at the auctions will be able to provide them, of course."


Ah, we had arrived at the elephant in the room. "What are your thoughts on slavery?"

He took a moment to answer.  Choosing his words carefully, I think.

 "Slavery is a time-honored tradition here in New Verai. I understand that many of your readers take offense to our peculiar institution, but they simply fail to understand its place in our society. That being said, if we are to trade with certain nations of the Realms at large, we must temper our traditions to garner new wealth and usher in an age of prosperity. Unfortunately, until that time has arrived, I cannot simply pardon all slaves and turn them out on their own without a coin to their names. There are current measures in place to bring us closer to that future, such as the Ima Charity and the New Verai Pickle Industry."


"If you and your father worked so hard to make this nations what it is, why do you not rule?  What does the Prince bring to the table?"


"The Prince, as you say, brings with him the blessing of royal blood of Old Verai. Without their support, this nation is little more than a defenseless backwater ripe for plundering. I don't rule it because Old Verai does not wish it - not for lack of trying. So the Steward is Nertail, but I run the day-to-day affairs that he couldn't be bothered with - what with his lofty position and all." 


He grew silent, and his body language told me one thing, very clearly.  He was done talking about this.  This is when I realized I may have crossed the line.  We chatted a while longer, speaking of the pickle trade, of card games, and other discussions I will not bore you with.  What I do know is this.  Hopefully that the people of Valehaven can help New Verai find firm footing as a trade partner.  The cultures are different, of course, but I think enlightenment can go two ways.  And, of course, I look forward to many more discussions with The Magistrate.