Thursday, December 6, 2018

Ten More Questions- Tom Gallagher



10 More Questions with Tom "Aven Dar" Gallagher

Photo by Robyn Nielsen


1. What achievement either in or out of character are you most proud of?

The creation of the god Vandor. I feel that it has added to the game in a positive way and has provided many with some great roleplaying, it’s amazing to see people embrace an idea I came up with and give it a life of its own. Also squiring and knighting Kindrianna.

2. Are you a fighter or a caster? Have you always been? How did you choose?

I bounce back and forth based on what I feel like at the time. No matter what, you can be an effective combatant regardless of your restriction or build.

3. Have you ever owned an artifact, memento, or magic item that has meant a lot to you, and why?

I've had several, but two stand out. I earned the elven cloak at a summer fest years ago, and it was a defining moment for my character. Azurewrath, an angelic 6’6”, I made it an extension of myself in combat, if I ever needed to choose a weapon for a truly dire situation it would be Azurewrath.

4. What group of people do you spend the most time with and why?

That's a tough one, I have lots of friends all over the realms, Rhiassa, Folkestone, Voraniss and anyone sitting at the poker table I guess. There are many more such as Sir Vawn, Sir Radstar, Sir Iawen, Boom, my squire Sir Rillan. I could go on and on, but that's a good chunk of them.

5. Who is your best friend in character and why?

Over the years I've become very close to several people who are more like family than friends. Sir Vawn and Khol, my best men, Kindrianna and Hygar are like my kids. Velvet and Liselle my sisters. Elwick, Aeston, Malaki, Phoenix, and Faelinn, my work buddies.

6. What event or moment had the greatest impact on you as a player?

Sadly the death of a good friend, Buddy Wolfhope. It made face my own mortality and forced me to reprioritize my role and hopes for the realms. I'm going to play as long as I can and try to enjoy every moment of it while trying to improve it for my children, should they grow to love it as I have.

7. What event or moment had the greatest impact on your character?

It would be a tie between the building of my nation, Mythguard and the moment I had to accept that Mythguard was gone. Both have had the greatest impact on who I am today. Youth gives you so much and time slowly takes so much away, you can grow stronger from the pain or give in to it and die.

8. What is your most embarrassing moment, either IC or OOC?

Sorry. I don't really get embarrassed, nervous, or excited. I wish I did, life would be much more interesting I'm sure.

9. What is the best piece of advice you'd give to other players?

People are just people, no matter how important they seem to be, never let others decide your worth, learn who you are for yourself and then improve yourself and never stop. The only one who can stop you is you.

10. What is the most important thing you've learned through the game?

The experiences I've gone through in realms have collectively shaped so much of who I am I couldn't separate out the lessons. I think without realms I would be someone who hasn't saved his friends, led an army, hunted people in the woods for food or sieged a castle. Realms has made me and most importantly led me to my wife and then my children. Realms has made me and my family.

BONUS QUESTION #1: Who would you like to see the next interview be with?

Cronin or Artair

BONUS QUESTION #2: Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?

All heroes die, by the sword or by the eye. All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.