Friday, November 3, 2023

Fresh Faces with Bri "Margaret" Meisser

Fresh Faces has been on a bit of a hiatus, and it's about time we get it spun up again! To kick us off, this week we bring you Bri Meisser (they/them), who plays Margaret August (she/her)!

 

(Photo by Brookelyn Gingras)

1) How did you learn about the Realms?

I learned about the realms through WPI’s SMAS club. My sister suggested that I hit people with foam sticks for PE credit, so I said why not. Eventually, I ended up falling in love with the game.


2) How many events have you been to so far?

41 (editor's note: Holy mackerel!)


3) Had you LARPed or done other types of improv or roleplaying games before coming to the Realms? If so, please tell us about it!

Not really. I did some musical theater and a very very short D&D campaign, but never really done something like LARPing before.

 

(Photo by Matt Brenner)

4) What is your character like? Where are they from? How do they identify? What is important to them?

Her name is Margaret August. She’s from a demi-plane called Sanctuary, which is a save haven for refugees. Her family has lived there for many generations. She identifies as Hope Light Human. In Sanctuary, there are 12 Guardians people can be aligned to who look after the citizens. She is aligned to the Guardian of Hope, and her family is blessed by the Guardian of Light, which is where the Hope Light comes from. Aside from those influences, she’s a normal human which is where the human comes from. Margaret is generally pretty kind and passionate. As well as an embodiment of Hope and Light. She is an extremely dedicated servant of the goddess Aurora. She is also an Oathsworn member of the nation Voraniss, earning the name Lightbringer. Margaret is a Squire to Sir Laika en’Naur of the Knights of the Crown. All of these things are very important to her, helping to shape who she is.


5) What do you remember most about your first event?

My first event was actually really overwhelming for me. It was Black and White in 1021, and it was the largest group of people who I’d interacted with in one place since the quiet years began. I felt really intimidated, and like I didn’t really know anyone or that I’d fit in. The amount of growth and change that I saw between my first Black and White and my second is something that really sticks out to me.

 

  
(Photo credit unknown)


6) What things have helped you feel more welcome in the Realms?

There are a lot of things which have helped me to feel more welcome. The realms community can be incredibly kind and compassionate, particularly to people who are neurodivergent like me. Finding groups where I feel comfortable and at home has done a lot to help me in this. But to be treated like I belong even when I’m not officially part of a group can be really humbling, and many people from many different groups have opened their homes and their lives to me and I am eternally grateful. As for groups I am a part of. The Church of Aurora really helped me to find my footing, and being made a Page and then a Squire by Sir Laika only reinforced that. And even before I began petitioning, Voraniss made me feel like one of their own, from defending me in battle, to helping me find armor and garb, and just being kind.


7) What parts of the game do you find most challenging?

I find knowing my limits and pacing myself to be really challenging. I get very excited and want to do everything, and sometimes I just can’t. And that’s okay. But learning to accept that it’s okay has been a difficult journey. I also have a lot of health issues, so despite my desires to go hardcore questing until 2am every weekend, knowing when to step back and take breaks is an important skill for my long term enjoyment of the game.


8) What Realms-related goals (IC or OOC) have you gotten excited to pursue?

I have a lot of goals I’ve been really excited about. I think I’ll do one IC goal and one OOC goal. IC, I was given a task by my goddess to help find her new Mortal Avatar. This is a huge responsibility and also a privilege, especially for someone as young and new as me, and one I intend to take very seriously. I am also working hard on the quest for her to get a new Champion. So really just working to rebuild and grow the Church, and to ensure all of the positions are filled before the second ascension war. OOC, I’ve been working on a plotline about Margaret’s home plane called Sanctuary plot. I’ve thrown several e-quests, as well as two in-person quests, one unofficial and one as part of Storytellers. It has been an incredibly fulfilling experience and it is a story I am passionate about telling. I hope to throw more in-person content in the near future, and am excited to see where it goes.

 

(Photo by Bri Meisser)

9) What advice would you give to other new players?

Learn what you’re passionate about and get involved. Talk to people. Make friends. Make enemies. Do *something*. Always strive for growth and improvement, and have fun. Remember to prioritize your real life, and that the game will still be there when you’re done. Ask for help when you need it, and provide help when you can give it. Tell stories, become apart of stories, whether it’s as a player or an event holder, because that’s what this is. A game of stories. And they’re going to be amazing.


10) What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?

I’ve enjoyed so many aspects of the game. I enjoy getting to meet new people. I enjoy fighting and combat. I enjoy being a spellcaster, and really diving deep into plots. I enjoy telling stories. Being involved. It has been an amazing experience so far and I can’t wait to see where it takes me.


We hope you've enjoyed getting to know a little more about Bri and their character Margaret! If you'd like to do one of these interviews and have been playing for less than a couple of years, just send Pat Bobell (emeraldsaka on Discord) a message to let him know.