Thursday, September 15, 2011

10 Questions - James "Letheris" Murphy

This series is going to run twice a month, on the 1st and 15th. This a second series of 10 Questions. 

James "Letheris" Murphy

Photo by Frank Rapant
How long have you been playing?
A long time
My first "light weapons" experience was a practice at Keene State Collage in 1980 or 81. My first "quest" type event was 1984 with the same group, I only started playing regularly, when Mid-Realm in Weare, NH opened in 86. I went to my first "Realms of wonder" event in the summer of 95 after I came back from the Air force.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
There are girls at events. It is a more safe game now, some of the early stuff we did I am amazed that more of us did not get seriously hurt. Also plots have come a long way, some of the early quests were go kill the monsters and get the treasure.

Who have you learned the most from?
Joel Jennings AKA Sir Barabas. but I have not seen him at any events since the early 90's when I went to an early Nero event.

What was your best moment IC?
Just recently becoming a Knight of Blackwood.
  
What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
I was in the "dungeon" at Mid-Realm, we had a rope/plank bridge over a "sewer" I was across the room with a bow and one arrow. When the party first started crossing the bridge I fired the arrow really hard at the lead person's shield. It made a fantastic loud sound. The party screamed one fell in the "sewer" and the rest went back around the corner. For the next 15 min I held them back with the bow and faking another arrow by putting my sword on the guard and yelling at them to keep it dark.  

What would you like to see changed or developed more in game? 
Cross plot, it make is feel more like one big world.

Photo by Dustin Mack




















What advice would you give new players? 
Learn to fight before you learn how to cast spells. Try to get some garb even its just cutting up an over size T-shirt to make a tunic it will be something and it will be appreciated. Make a rule that you will NPC every third time you PC.
  
What do you love most about the game?
Landing a shot, the tougher the better.

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Amber/Yipp, or Chris/Jaha. Someone who I think of as young but have years of experience.
  
Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Thank you for everybody that I have every fought with, talked to, drank with, hit in the face, or hit me in the crotch. Because of you I have had a great time. See you around the fire (or non-fire).