Friday, March 15, 2013

10 Questions - Katie "Effa" Smith

Katie "Effa" Smith 

Photo by Angela Earle Gray
How long have you been playing?
My first event was Green and Gold 2011. I am a very new player. I am still eligible to participate in most newbie tourneys. 

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
I have been playing less than two years. The game hasn't changed much. Rhodefathering passed this year, so that's a thing. Minor tweaks to the magic system, really nothing big or special. People are pretty much the same as they were a year ago. 

Who have you learned the most from?
Josh Learned and Henry Giasson taught me everything I know about leather-crafting and weapons-making. The fine folks at the Nottingham Fight Practice have taught me to suck less at combat- though that's a work in progress. Diana LaPierre and Angela Grey have taught me a lot about combat casting, and the magic system. Jacob Ruggerio has taught me the importance of maintaining a good attitude. And now that I'm a Dog of Grimloch I suspect that I'll have a lot to learn from each and every A-member. I still have an so much to learn, and luckily for me I have an entire community to learn from- though some serve as examples of what not to do :P

What was your best moment IC?
 Currently my best moment was the gauntlet that gained me Dog Status. I was so nervous/excited that I think I might have been shaking when Jaha put the Dog tabard on me. I hope that in the coming months I am able to prove myself and make my newfound countrymen and women proud (or at least do well enough that they'll tolerate my presence. 

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
 I don't think I've yet had a moment as an NPC that really sticks out in my mind (like I said, I'm really quite new), and I've yet to be an EH (though that will be changing soon) I suppose my hands-down most favorite moments in the game as a player are support casting for the line in bridge or castle battles. I really enjoy being in the middle of combat, and having a lot of people to be responsible for, the adrenaline rush I get from such instances cannot be beat!

Photo by Robyn C Nielsen


What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
I'd love to see more of an effort on the player's part to wear garb. Or at least leave the T-shirts with logos and jeans at home. I'm not that picky. 

What advice would you give new players?
1. Don't act like a self-rightous d-bag who has nothing to learn from others, there is always something you can learn, and nobody likes self-rightous d-bags. If you're a self-rightous d-bag, you're gonna have a bad time. 
2. Attend fight practices- even if you're planning on being a spell-caster. Not only will it make you a better fighter, it will improve your ability to judge the flow of combat (a useful skill as a spell-caster) AND you'll get to meet and make friends with people.
3. Be sociable. As a newer player it pays to make friends with other people. It'll mean you'll spend less time dead, and if you get up to mischief, you'll have people who have your back. Being sociable also makes it easier to get involved in plot.
4. I know its really tempting to play a shady assassin character who's all mysterious and broody. But be forewarned, if you do naughty things to important people, or people important people like, you're gonna have a bad time. In that same vein, being a necromancer sounds super cool, but there are certain groups that are less than fond of those who engage in necromantic activity. So if you engage in such acts, be prepared to face consequences (murdery, death filled consequences). 

What do you love most about the game?
The community. I've made some really dear friends in the short time I've been playing, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet them. And I also met my fiancee through the game, so there's that.

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
I don't know who has or hasn't done an interview, so I'm just gonna go ahead and list some names I don't remember having read about. Jason Grey [his interview can be seen here], Andy Disbrow, Paul Tilton, Steven Yazinka, Megan Matulewicz.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Shop at Grimloch Gear! If Effa is dead, make sure you raise her! Come to my event in March! [Her event is next week!]