Friday, December 12, 2014

Fireside Chat with Starmaw (Rhannion Chiacchiaro

Photo by Jesse Gifford

I met with Starmaw Byecross at the Tea House recently.  I wanted to know more about this sassy lady in pale blue.  Turns out she is interesting to chat with, fun to drink sake with, and has a couple adorable pets.  But let's get on to why you are reading this:


So, Starmaw.  You kind of came from no-where.  One day, I heard your name floating around, then next you are gallivanting around with everyone.  What were you up to, before adventuring?

Heh, well, funny story there. To put it bluntly, I was an evil little brat. And I mean actually. Have you heard of the Black Star Guild? Well, for the three people out there who don't know, they are...were...bad news. Kidnapped and tortured faeries, tried to summon terrible horrors from beyond the stars, awful culty people. And, well, their leader was Roger Byecross. He also happened to be my father.

Honestly, my life was pretty easy growing up. I was given everything I wanted. And I do mean everything. I was rich, entitled, spoiled, and sent off to boarding school. Of course, I was also being raised as a tool for him, but I didn't know that at the time.  I thought I was being groomed for greatness, and that I deserved everything that came with it.


What was the moment you realized the world doesn't work that way?

Heh, it all sort of crashed down at once. Daddy wanted me to become one of Queen Nimbus's Counselors. Taught me the Runes, forced me to learn protection spells. I never really was one for fighting, so I decided to just figure out how to turn everything in my favor or repel it if I couldn't manipulate it. So, when the time came to go grab what I considered to be my power, my position and all, it didn't occur to me or Daddy that it all could be stripped away and I would be left defenseless. But...well...when you walk through the Mysts, odd things happen, and suddenly there I was with nothing but my wits and a few very tenuous "allies"


Why do you say "Allies"?

Well, this is where it gets fun. Apparently, Rorin had been sent to, um...take care of me. Make me a non-issue as it were. He could have easily just killed me and dumped me in the woods or somethng, but for some reason he saw me as not a real threat and/or redeemable, so he kept me alive and pretended to be on my side, to cozy up to me. There were others too, but he was the one who stood because of the way he went about it.


Photo by Jesse Gifford
At this point, dear readers, we had to take a moment while Starmaw composed herself.  She seemed a little flustered.


Anyways, where were we?  Oh right, so he cozied up to me as I said.  Acted like he was on my side.  Obviousy I saw through him the entire time,  But I acted like I believed him.  And he saw through me, but it didn't matter. We both kept up this facade the whole time, him trying to impede me in subtle ways, convince me that I didn't want the position and that it was just my father telling me what to do, blah blah blah. And at the same time I made him do things for me, oh and then there was the love poison incident. Haha, it wasn't *my* love poison. It was a trap that someone activated. I obviously had myself protected from it, but Rorin and Dodge were both next to me and got the brunt of it.
It was funny though, the two of them going to find me presents. I got this bracelet from Rorin. (It's a little silvery beaded thing) I uhh...I've kept it, ever since. You know...it was shiny.  *giggle* He's going to kill me for telling you all of this.


Where is your father now, if I can ask?

Oh, he's dead.  Turned into haggis and fed to Her Majesty.  You can thank Dodgy for that one.  Good riddance, I suppose.  He was sort of an evil bastard.  My bloody half-brother was no better.  He got his just desserts, too.  No pun intended.


I see.  Was he eaten as well?

Nah, just eviscerated.  


How is your relationship with the Queen?  Did she forgive you?

She forgave me, I think.  Asked if I would come with her to Danann.  I actually was going to, but, uh, things changed.


Usually I ask someone how they spend their free time.
Not sure I need to ask that in light of your reaction to certain names.
Instead, tell me about big adventures you have planned.  Or are you hunkering down for the winter?

Well, we go to Uncle Cecil's. It's a good time, and I am doing the gift swap after all. I guess no big world saving forays currently planned though...did a lot this summer. That was nice, actually. I felt like I was finally doing something with my life and not just sitting around, waiting for someone to tell me what to do.


What do you want to do?

With my life? I'm still figuring that out I think. I spent so much of life with his one goal, and it's been two years since that fell apart. I've come a long way, I like to think, but I'm still trying to find my own way. I like where I'm going though...I just don't know where exactly I'll end up.


So far, what are you most proud of?

Photo by Jesse Gifford

I've grown up a lot. I...Well. I've had a lot of growing up to do. A lot of what I did in my life was due to cowardice and brainwashing. I turned from the Guild because I failed my father. I begged...well...forced Rorin to let me go home with him because I knew Daddy would come after me. He took my magic away, even as far from him as I was. I can't imagine what he would've done if I went home.

And then, well, I don't know, I was young and impulsive and I suppose just didn't think things through and ended up by myself one day.
And I spent a year in Chimeron, keeping a low profile, trying my best to do something with my life. Tara helped me there...and Tria and Phee too. I did have help, but I had a few desperately lonely, scared confused months before I finally realized I was either going to die upstairs in this tea house or put on my big girl knickers and make something of myself.


And you chose knickers?

Heh, I did. I worked. Hard. And I tried a lot of new things. And slowly I got better. Then I met up with Rorin again, a year later, and I was just in a much better place. And now...now things are good. I'm happy now.


So you are most proud of finding your own happiness.  You should be very proud.

Yeah, I suppose so. It's not the loftiest goal. I'm not a queen or a knight or anything. But at least I feel like a real person.  And not just a tool.