Friday, October 23, 2015

10 Questions with Nicole "Aryss Destuval" LaRoche


1. how long have you been playing?
My first event was in the middle of winter probably 12 years ago?  I can't even recall the event, but it was really cold, really wet and there was at least a foot+ of snow. 



2.How has the game changed since you've been playing?
I think the most obvious change for me is the learning progression of spells.  I remember hitting an event almost every single weekend during the summer, partially because we were obsessed with eventing, and partially to learn spells.  At the time you really had to dedicate time to your learning (2 events per spell in the second path, and 3 events per spell in the 3rd) It gave me a great personal goal to work on during events and really made me appreciate my spells more.  I kind of miss that progression honestly. 
3. Who have you learned the most from?
Oh Jeeze, so many people. Matt Loven and Lynn Limauro got me into the game, they were probably the most direct influence on my early learning of LARPing in general.  Travis Wilcox definitely helped expand my imagination and learn about NPCing and running events.  Andy Disbrow has taught me a lot about the history of the realms.  Zach Senchuk has spent countless hours helping me understand various rules. 

4. What was your best moment IC?
Oh gosh... I've loved so many moments, and they've left marks on me forever.  Being asked to be a squire to Mathias (Matt Butler) was kind of a ground shaker for me...I never thought I would ever be considered for something like that. In fact I'm still kind of getting used to that. 
Years ago I used to carry a 7th circle regional and at one major event I was given a temporary cry of life (back when they weren't very common). The entire questing party had been battling up hill to a church where a PC was being tortured and sacrificed alive (and loudly might I add.)  We were getting slaughtered, everyone was dead on a hillside save for myself and maybe one other person.  Bandits were rolling around running bodies through with their blades just to be sure they were dead.  I physically hid under someones body until the bandits had passed me by, managed to find my nation members and gather them close enough together to get everyone up and fixed their armor quietly. We all moved up through the dead into the chapel, and then I let loose the cry of life and the chaos below just erupted as people sprang to life.  It may have been one of the most fun night quests I can remember, that was early on in the game for me, maybe that's why it made such an impression.


5. What was your best moment as an NPC/EH/Player?
I've learned a lot from my stints as an NPC, I was the original Blood Baroness for Travis Wilcox's plot, he also used my PC in another plot that has affected her for her entire existence which has been a really interesting character twist for me to play.  I loved being part of various NPC teams, my nation as a group helped out last minute to NPC a few years back and created a pretty badass challenge that forced us all to work together to run a dungeon.  The best part of that was seeing the EH's face when he witnessed what we managed to orchestrate in only a short time.  He said it was so much better than what he could imagine...that was pretty cool to hear.
6. What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
I'm part of a crew that strives to make the "in game" experience as detailed and memorable as possible.  I love seeing interesting garb and character development that really sets people apart from their OOC self.  The immersion is definitely something I see slowly spreading and I would love to see that continue.  Also I really love seeing the community helping new players try to develop that kind of thing, in the end it just improves the experience for everyone.


7.What advice would you give new players? 
SOCIALIZE!!! It took me years to break out of my comfort zone only socializing with those that I traveled with to events; just in recent years have I developed friendships with people in and out of character outside of my nation.  Talk to everyone, in and out of character because this community is awesome! Also, and I can't express this enough, just because someone seems stoic or grumpy in character doesn't mean that's what they are really like! Remember that it is a game and most of us are just playing a part. 

Don't be afraid to let your character veer off into new paths either, my character now is SO DIFFERENT than what she used to be.  Also, if you like songs, myths and lore stop by the Northern Alliance campsite ;-)
8. What do you love most about the game?
I love the escape that it offers.  It reminds me that it's okay to have an inner child and to let her out to play every once in a while.  Also, I love that I can be absent for a while then come back and fall right back into the character that I love.
9. Who would you like to see the next interviews be with? 
Shane Wiechnik (Ping), Kayla Lovern, or Neil Tozier

10. This game has been a big part of my life for many years and I wish that I could devote the same time and energy that I used to dedicate to it when I was younger. I really love being part of a community like this and I hope that people gain the same amount of satisfaction from their experiences as I have from mine.