Wednesday, July 18, 2012

10 Questions - Neil "Mekrien" Tozier

Neil "Mekrien" Tozier


Photo by Frank Rapa
How long have you been playing?
Sir K (Ben) and I have talked about this a couple times [recently] mostly because my memory is non linear at times.  I believe that my first event was called Four Winds or Tournament of the Four Winds or something really close to that.  I think it was at UMass Amherst but I cannot find it on realmsnet.  My second event was Gladden Fest.  I believe that was in 1993, but could have been in 1994.
  
How has the game changed since you've been playing?
I feel like there are a couple ways that I could answer this, so I will attempt to organize them into several separate points.

- Roleplaying: The level of roleplaying when I first started the game was immersive.  Rarely did I ever encounter anyone who broke character except during breaks, or out side smoking, etc.  Garb was more prominent in some ways.  I probably had the worst garb of the people attending, and although no one gave me a hard time for it, I knew immediately that I would need to figure out something better.  No one had to tell me, I just sort of knew it was inadequate. Back then there were a lot more people talking in "funny" and exotic accents, and as a whole I feel that roleplaying your character was a lot more important then it appears to be today.

- Spell system: The spell system has gone through several major over hauls.  I think three major changes in the spell system since I started.  I feel like the system we have now is the best of them,  although I always liked the concept of caster guilds.

- Rules: While I feel the over all basics of the rules haven't changed all that much over the years, the specifics have.  If you get hit you take it unless told otherwise.  We do have a lot more attention to smaller details of how things work together, and things are written in a much more black and white "rules" style then they used to be.

- People: The turn over rate is pretty astounding.  A lot of the people who were playing when I started now only make cameos every few years at select events or are gone entirely.  The same goes for how many nations have come and gone. 

Who have you learned the most from?
The most?  Huh, I've never really thought about it like that.  I've learned a lot from so many people I'm not sure that I could single out just one person.  Dave/Sir Callin taught me to go for the quick head shot kill.  Bethany/Dame Freesia reminded me how much fun the game was.  Kevin/Cinnabar taught me that the loudest voice on the field gets listened to, and to not be a schmuck when it comes to smoking at events.  Terry/Kugan and Lawrence/Jabben taught me to be more aggressive of a fighter. Countless newbies taught me that I'm not as bad a combat teacher as I thought I was.  Kevin/XT taught me marn.  Several nations (and their leaders) taught me what I like and what I dislike about their nations rules/guidelines [many that I blatantly stole for Idaris, and later Blackwood].  I don't know if it was from someone else, but I think that it was Tom/Sir Blade that I first heard saying "don't ruin other peoples fun".  And last but not least would be Paul/ Arch-Duke Nigel convincing me that I could get up at Feast of Chimeron and give an IC (NPC actually) speech, even though I was terrified of speaking in front of people. [I believe that was the same feast that Lady Dee was stolen by Fae.]
  
What was your best moment IC?
Oh that's a hard one.  It's hard to put it into words but, I would have to say the moment that Sir D sacrificed himself to save his love Quazar [of Folkestone].  The ultimate sacrifice of everything to save another is the epitome of being a true hero to me.

Second best I think was achieving my own goal of finally rebooting Blackwood.  Standing in front of most of the event site and declaring myself the new Arch-duke of Blackwood and having no one challenge me.
  
What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
Once again it was as my character came to his end.  I was playing essentially the same character all these years, and the finality and depth of RPing and real emotion surprised even me. I admit it I was crying as it happened.

Seeing people cry at the reading of the Last Will and Testament, and at the funeral pyre, and being sang into the summer lands by Bethany/Dame Freesia [sort of his nemesis of circumstance]... the whole thing. It was more then a little bizarre at the same time.  Ben/Sir K and Jana/Jinx really out did themselves with the corpse prop, hair and all.

I also really enjoyed running the Queen of Hearts: Mages Tourney the couple years that I did it.
Photo by Janna Oakfellow-Pushee



What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
Several things.  First I would like to see more elaborate costuming and special effects, including makeup.  Secondly I would like to see more role playing and more staying in character when at events.  I would love to get a coalition of EHs to run an uber plot that literally runs 6 months or a year where every event for that time period would have the same over arching story plot.  I think that the sense of continuity that it could add would be interesting to see how players react to it.  I would love to setup a non-profit entity whose sole purpose is to purchase game wide insurance for event holders.  Perhaps these two things could go hand in hand.
What advice would you give new players?
There are many great resources (people) in the game who can teach you all kinds of things: from foam smithing; to armor smithing; to spell casting; to simple garb creation. Don't be afraid to talk to the oldbies, their bark is way worse than their bite, honest!  If you like someones armor or garb ask them where they got it.  A lot of the gear we utilize was hand made by someone, and most will be happy to assist you tell you who/what/where and a many of the craftspeople may just assist you in making your own.  Another great resource is the newbie garb bin(s) where people donate old garb.  I'm not real sure who the keeper of it is right now but last I heard it was Kelly/Twenaria. Lastly, finding a nation is like finding a good guild in an MMO, they need to make sure that you are a good fit for them and you need to make sure that they are a good fit for you.  That means take your time, get to know people then decide where you think you fit in and want to be.
  
What do you love most about the game?
That's sort of a two edged blade right there.  The thing that I love the most about the game is the openness of the rules and flexibility of the system.  That being said sometimes that is also the worst part of our system.  Over all I think I think that it is the community that keeps me playing.
  
Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
I'm torn between answering: Chris/Jaha of Grimloch or Illyana/Illy also of Grimloch.
  
Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Over the years many people have asked me for the recipe for Warsaw.  I usually say something like "sorry I dont give it out" or sure I'll email it to you later (and usually forget).  For all those people that want it here it is:

Warsaw: version 1a

shopping list:
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 red onion
1 box fettuccine
1 jar Olde Cape Cod Honey Mustard
3lbs. bar of Hillshire Farms Kielbasa
dried or fresh basil.

Preparation:

cut up the peppers (I try to cut them in uniform size) and put them in a bowl.

slice the kielbasa into rings, then in half. (or in half first then in half rings)  Throw them right into a large frying pan with high sides. Put it on a lowish heat.  I usually put them on 3 to 4. (stir occasionally).  The fat will turn to grease and they will start to brown.
cut up the onion.  I cut it in half and then use the angle to make the onion pieces uniform size(ish).  Add them to the kielbasa, and add the whole jar of honey mustard.
Add basil to taste.  I usually put a lot.  Cover the mixture and let simmer stir occasionally.

Once the kielbasa starts to brown up add the peppers.  Leave it covered for a little while.  You should start the water for the pasta at this point. Once the peppers start to cook down you can uncover it.  This will give the fluids a chance to cook down a little. Once you feel it's done shut the heat off, cover it and wait for the pasta to finish.

note: Original version of this did not include Basil.

WarsawB  (war-saw-B)

shopping list is identical except add:
Some fresh broccoli (or frozen broccoli)
Crushed red pepper

Preperation steps are identical.
When you would add the basil also add the crushed red pepper.
When you would add the peppers also add the broccoli.
(Yes this is a play on wasabi since its spicy)