Friday, February 26, 2016

10 Questions with Robert "Mullet" Hopkins

Ten Questions with Robert "Mullet" Hopkins





How long have you been playing?
My first event was Shadow’s Wrath, thrown by Robert “Drake” Hayes on his farm in Kingston, NH, 1997. I had a large gap while away in the Air Force from 2000, but was fortunate enough to come back home permanently for my re-debut at Feast of Creathorne 2012. The player I was in the beginning is a stark contrast to the player I became upon my return. Where once I kept very much to myself and my circles, I returned far more engaging of other players and nations. I also returned with my wife, whom had to endure seven years of bending her ear about Realms before getting here. I was very lucky she loves it as much as I.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?

I’ll state the obvious about the change in equipment. As far as I was concerned, Realms was a time capsule during my time away. I was very wrong, and blown away when I showed up with my hardware store PVC and duct tape logs. Feeling a 4’6” sword as light as a feather wasn’t a concept I was prepared to digest so suddenly. Organizations such as the Order of the List brought a season long competition in a way I had never seen before. The progression tempo of casters was a change I could not have anticipated. I remember the days when becoming a three path was a much longer process, and buy downs were more restrictive.

Who have you learned the most from?
I hate to leave anyone out, but Sir Guilliam has had the largest impact on me in and out of game. I admire his leadership, patience, honesty, and trustworthiness. When I think of players I’d like to emulate, Sir Guilliam’s mentorship is the example I try to follow. He sees the strengths in people and has helped develop them in subtle ways that isn’t forced or with ulterior motives.
Many others have had positive influences in guiding me to be the player I am today, such as Sir Shean, Sir Radstar, Lord Swan, and Sir K to name a few.

What was your best moment IC?
An occurrence comes to mind, and is very small in the grand scheme of things. I stumbled into an element where Sir K was fighting individual combat challenges wherein the judge would determine if the battle was worthy to him or not. It appeared the judge wanted three worthy battles. Between fights, sir K had his helmet off when a combatant stepped forward before he was able to fully don his headpiece. I rushed in to his defense with no armor, and a single 4’6” in an attempt to stall the enemy. I lost an arm and a leg in the scuffle, desperately attempting to wear down the foe’s two points of armor versus my armor less person. I fell on my back as I frantically attempted to defeat my adversary, managing to strike the necessary, albeit lucky, fatal blows, emerging the victor. This pleased the judge, the third needed, leaving us victorious to this encounter.
It seemed trivial, but it was the complete immersion during those mere seconds that stand out to this day. I was completely in the moment, it got my adrenaline going, and was rewarded with victory to boot. Moments like that I relish.

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
Not a moment, as much as an event. Shadow’s Wrath was my first event, and I NPC’d to “get my feet wet”. Being so new, I was given a menial, and in my opinion, the best task a newbie could be given. In order to maintain maximum immersion, the site could be live at any time. My job was to play a “crunchy” whose sole purpose was to pop out at unsuspecting players at any time. I was a pitiful foe at best, and was slain over and over again. I relished every moment of it. The surprise and sometimes fear I brought upon the unsuspecting prey was every bit as enjoyable for me as I believe it was to those I crossed paths with. Nowhere, and no time was safe. I don’t believe there was a dull moment for anyone that weekend.

What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
It’s very difficult to say as the game continues to evolve over time. There will never be a time where we are able to reach a realms utopia, but I do believe in the community at large doing its best to make this experience the best it possibly can be for the masses. I see very positive initiatives such the “No Jeans” to help garb, to feasting, bardic, and marshalling groups all player driven to improve the experience from within. I would much enjoy to see those drives continue to develop.

What advice would you give new players?
Be immersed. Get to know as many people as you can within your boundaries. Most of all, ask questions about everything and everyone. Learn the stories, people’s histories as best as you can. Most folks are more than happy to share words, knowledge, and lore. The game is far more fun with new friends, and getting to know goings on that surround you.

What do you love most about the game?
Night questing, bar none. I’d say the comradery of the people, but it goes without saying. The suspension of disbelief in the darkness is the aspect of the game I crave the most, as every sense of my being is heightened like a tight wire. The sheer chaos of a battle in the blind brings me right where I want to be, in the story, a part of it, a chapter with no clue as to how it will end. If I had my way, I’d night quest from sun down to sun up.

Who would you like to see the next interviews be with?
Jim “Quaran” Marden, Pete “Mellow” Starkey, Mike “Wrath” Doherty

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
It’s cliché but thank you to all that make events possible. Without the hard work and dedication, there would be no game, so I give much respect to all the efforts put into making the Realms possible!