Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Why I Want To Go - Feast of Blackwood X

by Lani "Gwen" Jones

I'm so incredibly excited for this event and I can't wait to tell all of you about it. When an event reaches it's tenth in the series it's not just great news for that event holding team or that nation, it is an important milestone for our entire game. It's a symbol of how much history we have as a community, how the traditions that we create together last, and how much we can depend on the Realms continuing to exist in the future. It also makes me feel a little old to think an event that started after I began playing has already reached a decade in age!

Feast of Blackwood has established itself again and again as a can't-miss bookmark event of the eventing year. With a Friday and Saturday full of well thought-out questing with amazing props and a feast on Sunday that raises the bar year after year, theres nothing about this weekend not to love. There's so much to say about the effort this event staff puts in to make their national events engaging and memorable, and what I'm looking forward to this year, so what can I do except sum it up in one of my patented lists?!

Narrative - I've always enjoyed the plot ideas that the Blackwood staff have come up with each and every year and I'm intrigued by the teaser for this year. "Come bring aid to the people, help bless the lands in the name of their beloved Gods and wish well upon the wedding in what can only be a fun and simple quest to remember." Of course we expect this to be simple. Certainly nothing can go wrong when all we're doing is helping to bless the land. Of course there aren't any fantasy tropes out there that might suggest anything could go *wrong* when planning for a wedding. You've piqued my interest Blackwood crew!

Novelty - One of the things I respect the most about this event is the tradition of play testing new rules ideas on the quest. Trying new things and innovating the way we play are both very important to me, and that can only happen if event holders are bold and are willing to take risks. Blackwood never shies away from those risks, even inviting other people from the community to suggest ideas to test out as well. I'm really interested to see how this year's "Fighter Abilities" work out and how much they can add to the game if they are successful and are embraced.

Nuptials - Of course the headliner on this event, the occasion of the season, is the marriage of Sir K and Jinx! In Character weddings are always so much fun. It's always great to see the way that groups interpret the ceremony and celebration of the moment in their own unique ways. And I love the idea that we have dinner options that we've ordered ahead of time as well. The food at this event is always exceptional and I expect that they'll use it to make a statement about how much this wedding, and the bride and groom themselves, mean to the nation.

Feast of Blackwood X promises to deliver like all of the others in the series. You won't be disappointed if you attend. Fun, friends, and food await all of us!