Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Why I Want to Go- A Very Merry Yule at Uncle Cecil's Crazy Tavern 3

by Lani "Gwen" Jones

Uncle Cecil’s is one of those rare events that brings the Realms community together at a time of year when everyone is so ready to celebrate each other and the wonderful things each of us has to offer. As I sit down to share with you why I think you should come to this event, I spent time reminiscing about my favorite Uncle Cecil’s memories, and as I did, I realized that what has made this event special for me over the years is the time I have shared with so many individuals from across the Realms. We’ve shared hugs and gifts, drinks and food, photos and I love you’s. I’m so very grateful that we’ve had those moments to share--and I look forward to sharing them again with all of you this year.

I suspect that many of you already appreciate the immense amount of work that the event staff puts in to making this event fun for everyone who attends, but I also want to honor their labors of love by sharing with you the wide variety of activities that are in store for us this year. The buzz of Friday night as everyone decorates and prepares for the following day’s festivities is not to be missed. Enjoy a warm beverage as you decorate an enormous tree, and watch as the auction items for War Dogs Returning Home are lovingly curated for our generous bidding pleasures. In your cabins or on your way in on Saturday, prepare yourself for some exceptional questing experiences. In year’s past, I’ve loved questing with the heroes of the Realms while snow paints the sky and our cheeks, coming in briefly to warm up in the tavern and snagging a grilled cheese that hits the spot perfectly. As the sun sets, you can expect to watch your friends transform into the fanciest people in the Realms, preparing themselves for the pictures and party to come. Children will delight in meeting Pater Yule and receiving presents and participating in their very own kids swap. Adults anxiously await first toast, and the buzz in the room fuels the love and excitement for things that are to come. Share presents with your friends, and maybe meet someone new in the gift swap. Gamble away your savings, and enjoy the delicious food prepared by expert hands. Smile and talk with someone you haven’t seen in a while, and redouble your efforts to share just how much you care about each other at this event and beyond.

This event will always hold a warm place in my heart, and I know that if you go, you’ll enjoy that same warmth and love that breaks down barriers of time and place. It’s a feeling that I hope will carry us all very happily into the New Year.