Tuesday, December 28, 2021

What You Missed- A Very Merry Yule at Crazy Uncle Cecil’s Tavern: Fifteen Years and Going Strong!

 by Tyler "Thoril" Chase

Hello everyone, another year has come and gone, a year full of tidings, both good and bad. This evening of festivities was different than our usual Yule gathering with a new location and limited time together, but it was no less important. The time we get to spend together, along with the memories we make with one another, are more important than any amount of ale or any mcguffin.

This Yule, I arrived at the tavern and set up with my friend Avendar who had beaten me there. We chatted and passed the time as we waited for the others of our nation to arrive, mingling with other partygoers and conversing. The King of Chimeron arrived and gave his traditional opening toast. He disappeared as quickly as he came, as is often the way with those who bear the weight of a crown- likely being called away to deal with critical business in these dark times.

Some reindeer games were happening on the other side of the tavern with Father Yule's helper Florentine Fizzysocks. Unfortunately, I did not partake in them, so I am unsure what kind of fun people were having. I thought I spied some present wrapping and whimsical headwear. Father Yule showed up, later on, granting his yearly gifts to both child and adventurer alike. I was greatly surprised and thrilled by my gift, but that is all you're getting out of me on that.

After Father Yule departed, my attention descended upon my annual quarry, the yuletide raffle… With a generous donation, I was able to secure a respectable pile of prizes to the cheers and jeers of my fellow adventurers, both supportive and jealous of my tactical ticket dispersal. With my treasures gathered and re-dispersed to both friends and family, only keeping a couple items for myself, it was time for us to leave the tavern for another year. My kin and I headed back to the Nation of Voraniss to continue the festivities around warm fires and strong mead.

So, until next time... when we are once more upon the field dealing with the threats of our world and others, protecting those both old and new to us in the uncertain future, remember you are strong. You will continue to become stronger than you once were. Our work is not yet done, and we are strongest when we are together. Merry Yule, everybody, and happy new year.