Friday, December 16, 2022

What You Missed - A Very Merry Yule at Crazy Cecil’s Uncle’s Tavern 3

Of the things I have garnered a reputation for, jovial frivolity is nowhere near that list. I am not one to celebrate many holidays, and Yule has never had much of a call for me. That said, the gift I chose to give this year was a night of personal openmindedness and effort towards holiday cheer, which I will carry into this writing. My take away, I believe I might understand why people would care for this time of year.

In a nice hall, big enough to not overheat and to have room for everything, but small and well arranged enough to still feel intimate and cozy, people began to decorate. They hung banners and draped decorations, and quickly made the place festive.

The First Toast, a tradition of King Cecil’s, was to make sure credit went where credit was due, to all the amazing people who made the gathering come actually happen. From an fantastic first time Feastocrat, to the Organizers, and the dozens of helpers, that is where the King wanted the recognition to land.

And the food really was excellent, a fantastic day board, soups (Including a particularly memorable Sweet Potato, Bacon soup), a lovely dinner spread including ham and turkey, and marvelous deserts including treacle tarts, fudge, and several perfect cakey like things.

While others played board games and gambled, and gandered at all the auction items, I was able to slip aside with one of my Knights for a Squirely Performance Review, I am glad I had the opportunity to get in a meeting or two, leisure isn't the same for me without proper action items and work to do.

But it was nice, there was a bar, so there were drinks with friends, and just being surrounded by friends and allies, most feeling safe without arms or armor, in the warmth of a hall filled with soft light and joyous laughter, it was something that we don't always get as adventurers. While it has never been something I’ve sought for myself, it is something I can respect and appreciate.

Then the Titan of Hope arrived, and all gathered ‘round. With his helpers he pulled great gifts to fulfill the holiday wishes for those who wrote to him. He gave out paperwork, and armor, and paperwork, and snacks. He gave paperwork, and drinks to be shared, and paperwork and weapons. There was paperwork and gems, paperwork and animal companions, paperwork, and I got a flying carpet so I don't have to ride horses anymore, and he gave out more paperwork. And about lastly, the Chimeronian Court Bard performed Pater Yule’s gift to Saurabia, a National Anthem.

While I may have had my qualms with the Titan of Hope in the past, nothing endears me to someone like copious amounts of paperwork. I was happy to be there, and to share in the next hours of people reading and reveling, puzzling and discovering.

But all good things must come to an end. People split off into their nation or family gift exchanges, and people began to trickle out. The night began to wind down, though with spirits quite high.

I must admit. I enjoyed this Yule. The people, the shared joys, the love. Tomorrow I will go back to being a grumpy wizard. But until this quill runs dry, I think I might look forward to next years Uncle Cecil’s.


Merry Yule, Realms.

Regards,

James Swift


(And if you need someone to share in your excitement about your paperwork, send me a missive!)