Thursday, November 15, 2012

10 Questions - Diana "Kiira" LaPierre



Diana "Kiira" LaPierre

Photo by Christine Poulin
How long have you been playing?
I have been playing since September 24th, 2004. It was called Preludes, the March to Madness. It was in someones backyard. The people who brought me in were in the middle of civil war resulting in character obliteration. Also, there were chaos deities walking amongst the Heroes and turning them to bunnies. Needless to say, at the time, I had no idea what was going on. It was pretty awesome.
 
How has the game changed since you've been playing?
The Realms, as a community, has really become much friendlier. People are more willing to play and collaborate with others who are not in their nation or their immediate friends. I think that is a great change and I foresee it continuing in the future. On a more negative note, I think that plots have been somewhat lacking since I started.
 
Who have you learned the most from?
Josh/Shandar(my significant other) has definitely taught me the most overall, including weapons making, armor making, fighting, casting, staffing, questing, and battle tactics. Also, he taught me how to really enjoy playing the game and how to make it a better game for everyone to enjoy by helping others. He has also been very supportive in my endeavors and pushed me to be a better player.
 
What was your best moment IC?
Joining my nation, Grimloch, was my best moment in character. I was super nervous when running my gauntlet and forgot to Combat Raise my champion, Biggs. I had my tabard ceremoniously bestowed upon me and I was so proud of it. Then, we left for dinner break, only to return to discover that Grimloch was being targeted by Blood Hunters. We ran around using guerrilla tactics that night, and I wasn't even able to show off my new tabard. But it was exciting.
 
What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
Well, I can't really narrow down my best moment NPCing because it's one of my favorite parts about playing. One time that I had a ton of fun was at a dungeon crawl at the Citadel. Myself, Tucker Noyes, Kyle Yazinka, Mike Duroucher, and Josh were NPCing standard crunchies in a small room with the PCs on the other side of the door in a narrower corridor. Needless to say, it was a difficult spot for the PCs to be in, so they were reluctant to rush in. It ended up being a 10 minute standoff because we kept shutting the door on them when they failed to come into the room. It resulted in very little PC death, but was amusing for all. Also, that same event, in that same room, we found a cubicle wall and Tucker moved the wall and fought from behind it and provided moving cover for us. The PCs were like, "Wait a minute. Is that wall moving?" NPCing is a fun way to give back to the game by thinking outside the box, having your own fun, and providing challenges for the PCs to have fun with, even as 1-point armored crunchies.
My best moment EHing was probably one of the first Grimloch Presents: Grill and Games. It was a unique event to throw with lots of games and prizes, and there was a dunk tank and obstacle courses. I remember that it was on my Birthday, and everyone bullied me into going into the dunk tank, even though I spent the early part of the morning getting treated for the strep throat that developed overnight and it was a brisk September day. But, everyone had a lot of fun dunking me in the dunk tank, so it was worth it.
As a player, I really enjoyed the first Shadow Ball event. It was unique, allowed me to role-play in a completely different way, and drove me to make and wear my first garb dress and just let me be creative in general. It was also a well done event.
 
Photo by Casey Lemay

What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
Cooperation between event holders. EHs working together to provide more continuity and make the game seem more like a world and less like a series of loosely connected events. It would really increase the immersion, in my opinion.
Also, I would like to see more accurate shot calling and marshals enforcing the rules on it. I think it's a huge problem and one of the few things really holding the game back. The whole atmosphere surrounding it needs to be changed. Everyone is human and, therefore, makes mistakes. It's the responsibility of you as a player, and even your friends, to ensure that you are playing by the rules and not blatantly cheating.
 
What advice would you give new players?
Seek out any help that you need. Don't be afraid to ask for help with whatever endeavors you have for yourself. There's always people willing to help, but act on it early and get the head start you need to be a better player, whether it's getting better garb, weapons, practice with combat/casting, making armor, etc.
Also, if you are physically able, practice fighting. It doesn't matter whether your a fighter or a 3-path. Whether it's at a local practice or at events during downtime, or in your backyard with your friends, you should get in practice. You don't need to be an amazing fighter, just get good at calling your shots and be willing to take constructive criticism on your ability to call your shots. Practicing fighting will help you be a better player and NPC.
 
What do you love most about the game?
I can't really focus on any one particular thing. I really love all aspects of the game, from single to team tournaments, feasts, questing, and bardics. Helping throw events and throwing events myself is also a really rewarding feeling.
 
Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Ben Greene/Sir K
 
Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
I have said this a few times already, but... NPC! It's fun, rewarding, and gives back to the game.