Friday, May 30, 2014

10 Questions - Becky "Kovaks" Baron

Becky "Kovaks" Baron

How long have you been playing?
My first event was Black and White 2005, so I’ve been playing for eight and a half years. I was a freshman at WPI and found Realms through the weekly fight practices and SMAS. 

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
There has been a greater push for excellence and development of skills. This allows people more opportunity to find their niche. The Order of the List, the Bardic College, University of Highbridge, the Huntress Guild... the list goes on. Each of these groups exists outside of the nation lines that have always been there and allow people to learn and hone skills that interest them with a group of like-minded individuals with advice to offer. 

Who have you learned the most from?
I cannot answer this question. I have learned things from everyone I have interacted with, and knowledge builds upon knowledge. For me to list people would mean I would leave people out. If you are reading this and have ever interacted with me, rest assured that I have learned something from you, and I thank you all. 

What was your best moment IC?
Rites of War I in 2006 was the battle for The Hill. I had been playing for less than a year and still felt like a clueless newbie, but I had been soaking up all the stories I could. I made my way to The Hill and Cuchulain was waiting, and he invited me inside and introduced me to Queen Meg. I just gaped for a while, confused and astounded at the fact that I was a dumb little newbie in the presence of these legends from the stories. I managed to get the courage to ask Queen Meg for advice: “Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. Remember that.” Suddenly I became part of all the stories I had asked people to tell, and I had my own “No kidding there I was” story that I could tell people. 

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
At Storytellers VII, I was on staff for one of the quests. One of my responsibilities was special effects. We decided to hang Ezra, one of our PCs, gallows style. In spite of the inherent dangers of hanging a PC and a few minor issues day of, the effect was wonderful. The best part, though, was hearing Ezra talk about it for months and years after. I gave him a story to tell. It was a defining moment for him in his Realms career, and it makes me warm and fuzzy inside to know I made that happen.


What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
I want to see more people interacting and supporting each other outside of their groups, be it nations, knighthoods, guilds, orders, etc. We are one big community as well as several smaller ones. In tournaments, by all means, keep resources within your group, but on quests we all are one group trying to achieve a goal. Spread the wealth, and make sure the newbies and independents get to feel a part of things as well. 

What advice would you give new players?
RLCF: Real Life Comes First. When the game interferes with your real world values, physical, or mental health, something needs to change. Plots and events should not interfere with your ability to pass your classes, pay your bills, or enjoy time with your family. If you are injured, take a break or tone down your playing. LARPing should supplement your life, not interfere with it.

Your character can be whatever you want it to be. Don’t let people put you in little boxes. If you don’t like the boxes there are, make your own. As long as you don’t piss of other players, you have the first and last say over what your character becomes.

What do you love most about the game?
As trite as it sounds, the community. We are a family. A giant family of over a thousand members. We may not all get along or even interact, but when the chips are down, I know this whole community will come together and do whatever it takes to help a Realmsie in need. 

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Matt Butler, Jeremy Sullivan, Laura Fontaine 

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Everyone  was new once. Newbies are the future of the game. Giving newer players a hard time never makes you look cool, and helping a newer player means someone else now thinks you are amazing. Never forget that no matter what species someone’s character is, all of the players are human. Thank you.