Friday, February 5, 2021

Home Questing: Task 22 Results

 by Christoper "Janus" Donnelly

Hello and welcome to Home Questing: the twenty second task.  I asked people to make the most delicious looking food they could, so let’s see what we got.


First, from Cressida is a Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Ring she made:




Next from DelHemar are these lemon tarts:




From Aeston, Areni, and Gwen is this classic they made from Feast of Leviathan: 





And finally from Janus is a Fried Egg Overhard on top of a white bread baked by monks:




WIth this in mind, I figured I would be best served by asking a member of the Order of the Spoon to judge these dishes.  So I invited Demetria Highwater to help with this.  Take it away Tria!

******
Happy to help, Janus, though I must say it’s very rude of you to show me food but not feed me food. I’ll be making a note of that. 

Anyway, onto the judging. 

In fourth place (2 points), I sadly have to put the spread from Feast of Leviathan. While it is a charcuterie board, which, as we all know, is the particular form of fae trap that will best ensnare the likes of me, it doesn’t follow the spirit of the rules here. Part of the challenge for the week was to make the delicious-looking food and capture it, and this is just digging up a portrait from over a year ago. That said, it looks maddeningly sublime and had this been a “find a picture of the best thing you ever cooked” contest, it would have won easily. 

In third place (3 points), I’m going to put DelHamar’s lemon tarts. I love the star shape, but the dough itself looks very thick and I would’ve liked a more even and smooth spread on the lemon curd topping. If it’s homemade lemon curd, though, I do want to say great color on it. Very bright.

Second place goes to Eggs a la Janus. At first, it was going to be in third place because it’s rather straightforward, but then I noticed that the egg has everything bagel seasoning on it, and that is madness. So, as the high priestess of Luna, I of course had to give it a boost.

And that leaves (5 points) darling Cressida and her pot pie ring. Wow. Gorgeous even coloring all around, and I am highly impressed by how much of the filling stayed in place despite the intentional slits in the dough. The sections could be a bit more even in size (it looks like crescent roll dough was used, so maybe some just needed more cutting/stretching), but honestly it’s the kind of thing I would be happy to set out at a feast in lieu of a traditional pie course. 

I will now be taking more submissions, directly to my mouth. 

Back to you, dear clansbro. 
******

Thanks Tria.  I’ll see what I can do to get you some food, but it might be a little bit before I can safely deliver it.  Anyway, time for my rankings.

First off, I am going to have to disqualify Janus yet again.  His submission reminded me that he spoiled the answer of “which came first, the chicken or the egg” to me last year, and that still upsets me to this day.

Anyway, in third place (3 points)  is DelHemar and his delicious looking tarts.  I would absolutely be willing to eat all 3 of them there, but there was a slight lack of refinement that could be improved upon to make them look even more delicious.

In second pace (4 points) is Cressida’s Chicken Pot Pie.  It essentially has everything that I love within it.  Carbs?  Check.  A nice amount of sweet fats?  Check.  A few vegetables?  Check.  Looking at it, I can already taste it and am jealous that I didn’t get a bite.

And finally in first place (5 points) is likely to be the most controversial of my selections: The charcuterie board from Leviathan.  I looked back at the wording and they were asked to make a delicious looking food.  And they are the ones who made it.  And I am a priest of Chronos, so linearity is a little fuzzy to me.  And almost most importantly...I ate it, which was as good as it looks.  Sometimes, bribery can get you far with the judges, and in this case it paid off.

So, after the point for participation, that was Cressida with 10 points, Aeston, Areni, and Gwen with 8 and DelHmar with 7.  For our overall scores, this is what we have so far:


Name / Total
DelHemar - 211.5
Cressida - 198
Laika en'Naur - 39
Saka - 22
Iawen - 20
Aeston, Areni, and Gwen - 26.5
Kovaks - 15
Orion - 13
Bart - 19
Vawn - 10
Syruss- 10
Jerrick Jerrickson - 10
Luc-Dubois Coupant - 9
Osa - 8
Keras - 13
Kwido - 6
J'reth - 5
Nalydros - 5
Rosetta - 5
Sagart Hawkshade - 5
Tarun Ul-Sikar - 5
Thayet - 5
Vanduke - 4
King Alexander Cecil - 2.5
Jace - 2
Kara Nithisdottir - 1.5
Thoril - 1.5


See you next week!