Thursday, February 12, 2015

Belts of the Eternal Flame

Steve "Sir Pyr" Matulewicz


Photo by Steve Matulewicz


1.      What year were you awarded your white belt?
Feast of Chimeron X, 2002.

2.      Who administered "the punch" and-- be honest!!--did it hurt?
Stephen Johnson and no.  I was surprised, but so much was going on that day, my adrenaline was up and I tend not to feel pain when I am "pumped up."

3.      Whose belt did you wear until you got your own, and how was this significant for you?
I will be honest: I am not sure at this point.  As I said, this was the day I was also made a knight of Fairhaven and been appointed the new King of Chimeron.  It was also 13 years ago, and so much of my life has changed since those days.

4.      Please describe your own belt's heraldry.
It is 3 stripes of green, with the Royal House of Chimeron crest on the wider middle stripe : a white crown and Rowan Leaf.

5.      Why did you chose that heraldry to represent you?
There were many choices I could have made.  But because I was going to be taking on the mantle as King of Chimeron, I felt it important for myself and for the Kingdom that I show my dedication.  And so I asked for my belt to resemble the insignia that was given to Queen Meg.


6.      Who did the artwork on your belt?
Jesse Perry.

7.      What do you remember most about your knighting?
I remember many things about the weekend itself, but my being knighted is more a blur to me.  I was overjoyed and it was unexpected.  Beyond that the details are difficult to recall.

8.      What does being a KoEF mean to you?
To be KoEF means you have become more than what you are.  Make no mistake: your earning of your belt is a tribute to the works you have accomplished.  But BEING a KoEF means you have become a symbol.  You are the representation of what is excellent in yourself and what is excellent within the game.  You are more than you were, to others and to the community.  And yet you are still who you are.  There is a balance of these personas that needs to held, and it is up to the wearer what that means. But in the end, the belt isn't about you.  It is about who you are to the community.

 
Photo by Doug Fisher