Friday, February 27, 2015

10 Questions- Aaron "Rel" Metzger

Photo by Angela Gray
How long have you been playing?
Since the dawn of time!

Actually, that's an odd question.  I started doing practices and even went to the Newbie Night Quest in Fall of '99.  But due to certain...interactions between me and a cliff, my first official event wasn't until March 2000 (Tale Eternal - The Footsteps of Heroes).  So I guess we'll call it...15 years?  Yea, that sounds right.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
Might be better to ask what hasn't changed...

Our spell system has added an additional path, added tons of new spells, removed many spells and changed pretty much every other spell.
Fighters have gotten new materials for weapon and armor making, as well as new techniques for making both.
The rules, in general, have become more formal and less ambiguous.

But for all the changes, it's still The Realms through and through.

Who have you learned the most from?
Hmmmm, that's a tough one.  If I had to point at one person, it would likely have to be Karen Veale (Brynn McKrye).  She brought me into the game and taught me really everything that is the core of my Realms beliefs.  For sure, I would not be playing if it weren't for her.  I will eternally be Her newbie.

What was your best moment IC?
Oh jeez, there are so many good moments.  Let me talk about my first big IC moment.  This was at Folkestone Questing in 2002 (Slip Sliding Away).  PCs were jumping from world to world, fixing as much as we could, all the while tracking down the cause (which happened to be some Imp).  So on Monday, we were chasing after the Imp, but having trouble catching up to him.  I think someone sent their CoP rope after him, to tangle him up, but he was quickly breaking free from it.

So I happened to have a 7th Circle Regional called Take One For The Team, which let me ask the EH/MM to do exactly that.  So I went up to Dave Dolph (who was running things) and told him I wanted to stop the Imp by taking one for the team.  He stopped, looked at me and gave me the biggest grin.  Moments later, the Imp and I had our right-hands tied to each other.  Thus began an epic struggle, a battle of strength and willpower.
Photo by Jesse Gifford

The Imp was surprised by his sudden jailor and I took advantage of the opportunity.  I towered over the Imp, strength, adrenaline and force of will pushing the Imp to the ground.  Victory was within my grasp when suddenly the Imp caught his breath and began to regain his power.  White-hot pain shot up my arm, maddening visions invaded my mind and the Imp slowly stood up as he began to force me to the ground.  As my body began to fail and my mind shatter, the world began to fade from view.  As the last ebb of life faded, a single word resonated in my head: NOT!!!

The Beast entered my broken body and filled me with boundless power.  My mind raced as my senses went into overdrive; the world came into the focus as broken bone and torn flesh began to mend.  The tables had officially turned.  With feral strength and speed, I threw off the Imp's attack and began one of my own again.  The Imp was surprised, but recovered quickly.  The struggle continued, both of us refusing to give up, but both of us beginning to tire.  As our fight continued, the Imp's eyes flitted over to our bound hands and he began to grin. My eyes quick darted over and I noticed the rope binding us began to fray and fall away.  The Imp's forced incarceration was coming to an end.

I tried calling out a warning, but my words came out only as growls and guttural noises.  The Beast's power had no place for language.  I continued yelling out, the rope growing thinner as it began to unravel.  The heroes Realms watched, unsure what to do or how to help.  Trent Shadowdragon, be it by luck or sudden insight, grabbed a magic dagger and tossed it to me.  Just as the rope was about to give, I caught the dagger and plunged it into the Imp's heart.  With the Imp on the ground, I took its soul as a sacrifice to the Beast and finally passed out.

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
Another tough question but it would be a tie between throwing Shadows of Death and throwing Twilight Champion.  Both had some great moments (really too many to enumerate here), between hoards of Faceless Shadows, creepy Silent Hill transitions, slashing guts and pulling out intestines, a Shadow Basilisk, a giant Shadow Dragon and a climatic final battle between a beardless Rel and a shadowy demon!

Ahhh the memories...

What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
More community resources or unification of the resources which already exist.  There must be thousands of NPC tabards in the Realms, but I always seem to be scrounging around for them whenever I throw an event/quest.  Would be great to have some common stock EHs can use and contribute to, instead of having to reinvent the wheel every weekend.

What advice would you give new players?
Try everything.  If you're a fighter, grab some spells.  If you're a spellcaster, pick up that sword.  You'll enjoy the game so much more if you can see both sides of the coin.

What do you love most about the game?
Everyone can throw an event.  There are so many games where content is gated by the game's creators and sometimes it's disappointing to see a great world where no one else can really add to it outside of their character.  Realms doesn't have that problem and it's the reason our game still exists today.

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
I'm a little out of the loop, but would be great to see Beth Tozier get a crack at this, if she hasn't already.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
I know I've been away for a while, but...
Expect to see me back this June!