Friday, June 12, 2015

Fresh Face- Taylor "Roarke" Struthers

Photo by Jesse Gifford
How did you learn about Realms?

I had first heard of LARPing through a friend years ago. Then in December Phoenix of Folkestone took me under her wing (pun intended). We take karate together and I saw pictures of LARPing on her Facebook. I asked about it and she was surprised I knew what a LARP was.

How many event have you been to?
I've been to 4 events and 2 practices and plan to be at 3 more this month (A Night of Living History, North South War, and Rhiassa Presents).

Have you ever LARP’ed before?  If so tell us about it?
Not officially but I'd played around with my friends nephew with swords, bows and arrows.

Photo by Michael Zajac
What is your character like?  Where are they from? What is their race? What is important to them?
Roarke is torn between nobility and savagery. His father was an honorable Knight and his mother a shield maiden of a barbaric clan. They were exiled due to their union and he was raised in the woods.



What do you remember most about your first event?
It was a tournament event with a lot of good good fighting and fighters. I had lots of instruction and received lots of compliments.

What things have helped to make you feel welcome in game?
My open mind and willingness to learn. It also helped knowing a couple of well established players who helped guide me to meet people at first, after that I started introducing myself to people.

What parts of the game do you find most challenging?
Questing and combat against skilled veteran fighters.

Photo by Jesse Gifford
Do you have any game related goals (as either a player or character)?
To earn the right to fight in the Order of the List Tournament and to eventually become a Squire then a Knight.

What advice would you give other new players?
Just to have fun and be yourself. Meet many people. Don't be afraid to ask for help. People are willing to as long as you are respectful.

What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?
I enjoy the sense of community and the combat.