Friday, February 10, 2017

Ten More Questions with Tucker "Temorse" Noyes


Photo by Jesse Gifford

1) What achievement either in or out of character are you most proud of?
I think for both of these by far is the success I’ve shared with my nation. There are a lot of small goals from throwing a Queen of Hearts team, to event holding, to questing together that we’ve accomplished together that really add up to the most gratification and pride that I personally have towards the game. I’ve spent about half of my Realms career as a part of my nation, and while I had a lot of personal goals I’ve accomplished, the starting a nation, bringing in new people and watching them succeed has been by far the most rewarding for me.

2) Are you a fighter or a caster? Have you always been? How did you choose?
When I started out I spent a majority of the game as a one path, which had a lot to do with my access to armor. I played a rogue for a long time, 2003-2009, before switching to a fighter full time. I really enjoyed the freedom that came with being a rogue, and it suited my playstyle given the group I was with at the time, but eventually I became more interested in competitive combat and have, for the most part stayed a fighter since. Recently there are times I’ve wanted to go back to being a one path, but questing as a fighter seems to offer a lot more potential for my playstyle. I do moonlight as a three path, Tychus, on occasion to mix things up, but I think being a fighter will always be near and dear to my heart.

3) Have you ever owned an artifact, memento, or magic item that has meant a lot to you, and why?
I’ve been lucky enough to receive a couple magic items in my time questing, however I’ve never grown overly attached to any. I’ve kept a slew of small mementos from various events over the years, however there are two that stand out the most in my mind. The first one was a coin I received from my very first event, it was one of the cursed coins from the Pirates of the Caribbean slide from Slippery When Wet. There isn’t anything special about it specifically, except that it marked the beginning of my journey in the Realms.

The second item is, for lack of a better term, the “hearthstone” that we were given on the quest to save Bouquet, Now to Scape the Serpent's Tongue. The event itself was one of the most fun, epic events I have had the privilege to attend and while the prop itself is just a run of the day marble, it represents to me the first time my character really became involved with a plot.

4) What group of people do you spend the most time with and why?
When I started playing the game I came in with a large group of younger players, and over the years many of them stopped playing. For awhile after that I spent a lot of time hanging out with a variety of groups and had the honor of getting to know a lot of different people from a lot of different groups. While I still get to spend some time with all those different people, currently I spend most of the time with my nation, in and out of game, as they are like family to me. I still enjoy seeing everyone else when I can, however the bond from building up a nation that I’ve made with my friends in Ashenmark for the past six years has been a truly unique and humbling experience.


 





5) Who is your best friend in character and why?
Stripes and Grot are probably my characters closest friends, they go way back and neither are really around enough any more for me to be upset with, which helps.

6) What event or moment had the greatest impact on your character?

This would be (I want to say it was a Feast of Chimeron) the event Temorse had died in Bedlam, and subsequently sort of becoming a bad guy for a time. There are few things as character shaping as facing permanant death, especially when you get to survive it by the efforts of so many of your friends.

 
7) What event or moment had the greatest impact on you as a player?
I think the weeks following losing Temorse to Bedlam were the most impactful to me as a player, more so than anything else. The amount of support I received from the community, both the event staff and the players involved in the rescue. It was a very unique experience that I was able to have, with an uncertain outcome. I really appreciate, all around, how everything played out.


8)  What is your most embarrassing moment, either IC or OOC?

There have been many, many embarrassing moments throughout my Realms career for sure. The most memorable one was the great Ashenmark pike incident at North South War when we realized we had not accounted for the thrusting tips and all the pikes were 2” longer than intended, requiring use to saw two inches off the handles on the field.

9) What is the best piece of advice you'd give to other players?
Try all aspects of the game. For me, I was never big on role playing or the crafting side of the game, however I gained new appreciation for those things them more I was willing to try them. Sometimes it’s awkward to start, or you end up making really crappy gear or feeling pretty foolish trying new things in combat, but you build on that. You may even find that you really enjoy some aspects of the game that you never thought you would. It took me nearly 4 years of playing to really get into competitive fighting and it to this day is still one of my favorite aspects of the game.

10) What is the most important thing you've learned through the game?
I think really the power and an importance of a strong community. Over the years I’ve seen the community come together for great causes and charities. The length so many people in this community have gone to in order to give back is really astonishing. In time and money alone for fundraisers this community has given back more than I would have ever expected, and the support that people have shown individuals in times of need has always blown me away. It is certainly comforting to know that your are apart of a group like this as well as a big responsibility to help continue on that conduct of good will.

BONUS QUESTION #1: Who would you like to see the next interview be with? 

Angela Gray/Phoenix

BONUS QUESTION #2: Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print? 

Just a big thank you to the View Staff for all their hard work and willingness to try new things!