Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving!

Below, some of the View Staff share what they are thankful for this season: 


Today, I had to describe to my preschool classroom what it means to be thankful. I told them it was something that you love, appreciate, and something you wouldn’t want to lose. Then, I told them what I was thankful for.

I highlighted my family, describing my kids; then, I brought up where I lived; my job, how much I loved my students, and finally I brought up my friends. My friends, almost all of which I’ve made in my adult life, mostly became my friends through Realms. These friends, which are closer to me than some of my family, are the people I choose to hang out with and look forward to seeing at Realms, at Birthday Parties, and other social gatherings. All of these people I never would never have met were it not for Realms. I am so thankful to have these people in my life and that I have the opportunity to meet so many more new ones.

- Diana "Kiira" LaPierre


I am blessed to be a part of a community that loves so freely, cares for one another, and strives to be better every day. I cannot understate the importance of the support that I’ve received over the past decade of my time in the Realms. It has truly shaped me into the person that I am today. I am grateful to find beauty in both the small and large things in my life--a beautiful morning, an awe-inspiring storm, breaking into uncontrollable giggles with my friends and family, a nice stiff drink at the end of a long day, dancing my heart out, the look in a student’s eye as they finally understand a life-altering concept, reading stories to the babies in my life, sitting down in front of my sewing machine to tackle another project, watching the ones I love push themselves to be the best versions of themselves--these are the things that bring my life meaning, and I am certain that I would not be in a place to appreciate these gifts if it weren’t for the people of the Realms community. Thank you all, and Happy Thanksgiving.

 - Lani "Gwen"


If I’m thinking about the Realms and the many ways that I want to give thanks, there are certain things that immediately come to mind.

I feel so fortunate to be a part of this amazing community. All around me I see incredibly impressive things each and every day, year after year. I see people giving back to help the community grow and flourish and love every minute of doing it. I see people coming together to back each other up in hard times, like when we’ve had benefits or when we do charity auctions for good causes. People teach each other and help each other and push each other. I sometimes wonder where else in the world you can find a gathering of such incredible people who have the same purpose as each other and take care of one another so well. And as if that wasn’t enough, we have fun doing it too.

And because of this amazing community I’ve been able to build so many important parts of my own life. My country is made of my best friends and what we do together as a group is inspiring to me. When I first joined the Realms I never imagined myself being a part of something like Rhiassa or doing all of the things that we do as a nation but I’m so thankful to have found this group of people that has so readily accepted and embraced me. Of course Realms is also the reason that I met my husband and had a wonderful son together with him. Without this community none of that would be possible and I can’t imagine a life of family and friends as enriched as the one that I have now.

And finally, I have Realms to thank for the changes in myself over the years. Realms gave me a chance to come out of my shell. There are so many supportive people around me all the time and it helped me to become more outgoing and find my voice. I was able to learn lots of crafting skills through the help of people in the community and I got to develop and express my creative side in new ways. And becoming a part of the View from Valehaven staff has been an amazing challenge and experience that I’ve learned a lot from as well.

So I have a lot to be thankful for because of Realms. I met my friends and built my family. I grew in many ways and still see that there are new ways I can grow. I’m surrounded by a community of good people who care about one another. Realms has made me a better and more well rounded person. I owe a lot of who I am to this community and what I’ve learned here and I certainly wouldn’t have been here today without it. Thank you everyone.

- Jen "Areni" DeNardis-Rosa



Wherever you are or whatever you're doing today, please take a moment to reflect on the past year, both in Realms and out, and enjoy your food! Wishing you all a very happy Thanksgiving from all of us here at the View from Valehaeven!