Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Five Questions About Getting Back Part 5

The time will soon come when we will sit beside one another around the late night campfire, raise goblets together as we feast, or cross swords on the field of war, and all of us are looking forward to the day where we are safely and responsibly playing Realms together again. Thinking of the better days are just around the corner, we asked you some questions about getting back to playing Realms. 

Answers by: Katie Cannamela and Pat Bobell

In your time away from Realms, what have you been spending your hobby-time on instead of going to or preparing for events? 

Katie: I got back into crochet. Made a bunch of shawls. Made my first blanket, and it was out of velvet yarn. It’s kind of ugly and uneven, but it’s so incredibly cozy. I also finally got a Netflix account, so I spent time watching TV while making things. 

Katie's cozy blanket.

Pat: Well, I've mostly been going to and preparing for events - the biggest change for me was that I didn't have to buy any plane tickets. :P   I was on the team that ran RealmsCraft Questing 1, 2, 3, and is working on a double-header finale for 4 and 5! I also contributed to the virtual Black & White and UCCT. Also RTC's one-day Risen Kingdom quest in Minecraft, which ended up continuing into an additional 4 weekly sessions because we'd built too much for players to explore, learn, and do. (There are still a couple of things that were never found!) I consulted for Stephen Sanford's Trial of the Gods event, helped with a bit of content for the virtual Winter and Spring Market Days in Fae, and got to be a player for both of ToTH staff's virtual content offerings. (Don't talk to Orion about anything involving sand. Still too soon.)

Outside of events, I did the usual PM/EHC prep and OEC stuff plus additional rounds of writing/organizing for the emergency PM/EHMs. Chim took our monthly ChimDigs virtual over on the Chim & Friends Discord server, which lots of folks have also been using daily to chat, talk, and play various games. (I've mostly been active with the groups playing Minecraft, Deep Rock Galactic, and Valheim together.)

Outside of Realms/Realms-adjacent stuff, I did a lot of reading and made a lot of progress with long-term housework and yardwork. Much to my youngest sibling's dismay, my mom and I began cooking vegan meals from Purple Carrot at least 3 times a week. I've also resumed learning Norwegian, running, and relearning piano.

A peaceful mining camp in RealmsCraft

Accepting as fact that there are lots of things that we have all missed, what have you missed the most about being at Realms Events? 

Katie: I missed being around friends and going on adventures together. I miss healing people while making snarky comments, and I miss watching our strongest players fight the Big Bad.

Pat: Combat. Holy Heracross it's been so long since I've fought anyone and life is just not the same.

A combat ready Pat

Are there are plots or specific events or anything that you are particularly looking forward to for after the Realms gets going again?

Katie: I’m always a big fan of Ashenbounty. 

Pat: Plots: ToTH and Janna's time shenanigans. Events: I always enjoy Ashen Bounty and any event Rhiassa throws.

Great times at Ashen Bounty

Have you concocted any grand plans of any kind for once we can get back to Realms? Events you are planning or things you are going to do with your character? Any secret projects you've been working on that you want to give us a hint about? 

Katie: I’ve done a little fiddling with my plan for the Neurodiversity Guild. I was so excited to have debuted the Zone of Meditation at Feast of Leviathan in 2020, and I was ready to go and make improvements, but then everything happened. I’m excited to re-debut the newly named Sanctuary! It’s just gonna be a zone on an event site with shade, soft things, and quiet activities for players that need a moment away from all the excitement and sensory stimuli. If you want to be involved in the Neurodiversity Guild or build your own Sanctuary bin for events I can’t hit, please request to join the FB group, or message me.

The Zone of Meditation at Feast of Leviathan

Pat: Of course I have concocted grand plans, events, and things I'm going to do with my character. As for secret projects I don't mind hinting about... a few people might be looking forward to finding some way to give the Fallen King what for, but that's not much of a secret. I suppose one might also wonder about certain changes that came over Saka over the last 4ish years, and where his true loyalties lie.


Anything else you'd like to say to the Realms about this past year we've spent apart from each other or in anticipation of us seeing one another again?

Katie:  I’m looking forward to seeing everyone again, and to getting back to dragging y’alls corpses around until you revive.


Pat: I've now been a part of the Realms community for more than a third of my life, and a little less than a third of the Realms' life. I'm consistently impressed with what Realmsies do to improve themselves and the lives of others and this past year and a half has been no exception. We each have our faults and disagreements, some more significant than others, but on the whole I think this community handily provides some of the most important ingredients for a rich life - fun and silliness, opportunities for growth, close friends within a broad and age-diverse network, outlets for creativity, and challenges to overcome. Even just in my time I've seen the community mature dramatically without losing its heart, and that is no small feat. I look forward to seeing this trend continue in the years to come.