Friday, July 23, 2021

Five Questions About Getting Back Part 6

The time will soon come when we will sit beside one another around the late night campfire, raise goblets together as we feast, or cross swords on the field of war, and all of us are looking forward to the day where we are safely and responsibly playing Realms together again. Thinking of the better days are just around the corner, we asked you some questions about getting back to playing Realms. 

Answers by Ryan Welch and Sarah Fournier 


In your time away from Realms, what have you been spending your hobby-time on instead of going to or preparing for events? 

Ryan: … what do you mean “instead of preparing for events”?

In the past year, I’ve been working with Pat “Saka” Bobell, Ryan “Garen” Keller, Owen “Balthzar” West, and Kersten “Ypnn” Prince to bring life to the RealmsCraft Questing events in Minecraft. In addition to RCQ, I’ve attended every other virtual event this year and have contributed content to all but two of them.

The Port City of Earlmont from RCQ 3 (Photo Credit: Kersten Prince)


Last Fall, Stephen “Laika” Sanford ran practices for SMAS at WPI. Those were particularly … interesting … because of the tight restrictions the school had in place, but Stephen made a bunch of very excellent dummies for the newbies to train against.

A Practice Target (Prop and Photo Credit: Stephen Sanford)

I think there’s an old saying that goes something like: “you can take Me out of the Realms, but you can’t take the Realms out of Me”.

Sarah: In the beginning of our break, I spent way too much time playing World of Warcraft. I’ve stepped back from that and now I’ve been playing my ukulele more and writing music. I’ve also been doing more cooking and baking which I’ve been enjoying a lot. 


Accepting as fact that there are lots of things that we have all missed, what have you missed the most about being at Realms Events? 

Ryan: I am very grateful that I’ve been able to maintain so many of my social connections online while we’ve been away. I do miss being around people, but that’s practically universal. I particularly miss combat. Drills and forms and practice targets are just fine for keeping the dust off, but there’s no proper substitute for squaring off against a live opponent.

Orion’s IT Helpdesk (Photo Credit: Becky Baron)

I miss being able to hear things in three dimensions. When we’re online, everyone is right in your ear… you can’t pick up bits of conversation from across the hall or call out announcements to everyone in a room.

Sarah: The thing I’ve missed most about being at realms is being in the thick of battle. There’s no feeling quite like it, and I really miss being a backpack and hiding behind my fighters. I’ve realized that I’m definitely an extrovert and I miss being surrounded by people on the weekends. I’m so excited to get back into it. 

Evie hiding behind her fighters (photo by Casey Lamey)


Are there are plots or specific events or anything that you are particularly looking forward to for after the Realms gets going again?

Ryan: Black and White is a classic favorite of mine--I really hope that I don’t have to wait another year for that to happen in person. Of course I’m really involved in RTC’s Risen Kingdom plot, so I’m looking forward to more of that. I’m also excited to see what crazy new stuff people come up with after such a long hiatus.

Sarah:  I’m really looking forward to the next installment of Steve Matulewicz plot, and the Eroewan plot!


Have you concocted any grand plans of any kind for once we can get back to Realms? Events you are planning or things you are going to do with your character? Any secret projects you've been working on that you want to give us a hint about? 

Ryan: Yes--

The RCQ team will be wrapping up our event series in a few months and we have BIG plans. We’ve pushed our limits with every event we’ve thrown to date, but we have some truly remarkable ambitions for our finale.

Possible Plans for the Next RCQ Event? (Art/Photo Credit: Ryan Keller)


In addition to that, well… I won’t say anything right now, but maybe keep an eye on a particular weekend in mid-August… depending on the results of the upcoming EEHM, of course.

Sarah: I haven’t made any big plans, but I did write a song during our time away that I’m looking forward to debuting at an event. It’s called ‘Apart’ and it’s about longing to see friends again. When I wrote it, I felt very isolated, and it helped me cope with some of the feelings I had.


Anything else you'd like to say to the Realms about this past year we've spent apart from each other or in anticipation of us seeing one another again?

Ryan: I am genuinely looking forward to seeing each and every one of you again. If you’re reading this and thinking “surely he’s exaggerating and isn’t really talking about me specifically”, you’re wrong. Yes, I’m talking about you, too.

Sarah: This time away has changed my life in so many ways, and I am so grateful that our community has kept connected even when we couldn’t see each other in person. I can’t wait to see you all on the field again!

photo by Casey Lemay