Thursday, October 27, 2022

Why I Want to Go- Voraniss Questing 1: Tomb of the Vanished

by: Justin "Grarr" Hawkes

I guess the best place to start is at the beginning. So there I was, getting ready for the Queen of Hearts night quest. I was expecting it to be an easy time of ‘go in, kill the monster(s) and save the day’ and generally just having it be more of a nice and easy night. Wrong! Incorrect! We marched out into the night and found a necromancer controlling soulless undead and what turned out to be probably the most grueling night quest I’ve been on to date. Sounds like a great start so far, right? What if I told you it got better?

So after we finally beat up the necromancer and stole their lunch money staff, wouldn’t you guess, it starts corrupting whoever is holding it! Not only that, but it tries to kill anyone who tries to identify it! Eventually after enough magic was cast at the staff a piece of cloth with strange runes comes out of it, kicking off a several day long effort to figure out what it says. Trying to solve the runes was honestly the beginning of the end for any hope of me not wanting to keep driving deeper into the plot.

Fast forward to Tournaments of Chaos and having us be attacked by the same group of necromancers, but this time they had a bigger, scarier monster under their control! Can you believe they went through all that just for one of their staffs?! And now I knew that no event was safe from them and that we were being hunted.

Needless to say, this plot has been a constant thought in my mind at just about every event I’ve gone to since Queen of Hearts. The fights so far have been genuinely challenging. The plot has been incredibly engaging even for someone like myself without any magic. The marshals and NPCs have been fantastic. I honestly don’t know how else to tell you that I’m so excited for this event and absolutely can’t wait to see how the plot progresses! I can’t wait to see you there!

 - Grarr Seawoods (Justin B. Hawkes)