By: Briar "Phee" Sieracki
August, R.Y. 1026, loose thoughts from a desk in Caer Estelle, Val’Dara
The days are ticking down as we come ever closer to a quest that no one should ever wish be a need. While a majority of our forces focus on a quest for the greater good, one that’s too important to be left to the wayside (as many of our adventures ever are), a number of us are to split off and to step willinging into the Mysts of Forgetfulness. It is not an undertaking to do lightly, and though out of our number I have stepped into it the most frequently (much to my own dismay), I made a promise.
I keep my promises.
Raindrop has asked aid to seek someone from their previous cycle, back in the First Age. So, they have sought a questing party of those they know, love, trust. I am…uneasy, bringing my child and…and her father with us. I know it’s going to be difficult, and it’s been some time since the Mysts showed us all its tricks. I am ready and wary, and know that that may not be enough.
The quest we split off from seeks a far more dangerous, timely fight. An item that is crucial to keep out of the hands of those that seek it, out of Napheclthi’s hands. I don’t know this quite as well, though Ace, Margaret, and others who have been working on this would have a much better grasp. It’s crucial enough that reality itself is staked on it…and that’s worth keeping out of an Unmaker’s hands. Find those who have stepped through a book into the place known as Jhoril, they’ll answer questions better than I could.
After that, I turn my focus on another delve into aiding Sanctuary. I hear we will have spirits guiding us, and helping us make our way through temple grounds. What spirits those may be, what trials we will be tested against, I don’t know. In passing conversations I hear things about Cryodinium oaths and weapons, Ardor and a knighthood, and on occasion I find myself looking for a blade to come to hand that I have never known. It’ll be…curious to see how this plays out, especially as I feel perpetually like I’m four steps behind in understanding Sanctuary’s convoluted histories. It’s…oddly enjoyable, as if I’m a student in my family’s halls again, discovering a new corner I had missed before…
And then…the part that makes me most curious, and most concerned.
The Laurlins are familiar as a bedtime story and just as strange and different. A land beholden to the aspects of a story, and yet…not quite. Again, another place where others know more, and again, it’s comforting to find something new to sink my teeth into. I’ve felt what I can only describe the lands being just as curious about me, felt it tell me one of their titles and shape changes to my magic. I’ve never been able to tap into the regional magics of lands before, and technically I’m not feeling the Laurlins’...but all doubt must be pushed aside. We have surgeries to end curses, and what’s sure to be a fight ahead of us.
---
Why do I want to go? Where do I start?
Alex is bringing a touch of a complex, convoluted world to the Realms, and I am so excited to see people’s reactions! (I’m both sad to be missing out, but glad I’m not needed for this mod: My face role will show up later down the road, and very different from Phee!) If you’re looking to tap into a plot that’s gonna have a lot of parts, Dark Cosmos is for you!
While the Fae plot quest that’s happening simultaneously is split off and a capped number, don’t let anyone fool you into thinking you can’t do more things, have character growth, or tease a bit of your character’s backstory as an oldbie! There’s something fun and satisfying in getting to explore a new part of a good friend’s backstory all these years later.
I know Sanctuary is a big plot, overwhelming at times, and I’m the worst at keeping up with it. That doesn’t stop me from looking at each new angle, going “huh!” and rolling with the punches. Ash has been doing a fantastic job making a complex multiverse feel alive by having so many factions working towards various goals, and hey! I get to do a Star Wars with this mod!
Finally, Laurlins. Just like our other fantastic storytellers, Matthew has woven a wild fairytale (heh) with this and I’m so excited to see what she’s got in store. This is my first real time interacting with Laurlins stuff that hasn’t been in passing, and they suggested an absolutely bonkers, fantastic thing for my pre-reg perk. I can’t wait to explore that and this plot line!
If you’ve held on for my long-winded IC and OOC rambles, you should absolutely try to make it out to Anthologies 2, as either a PC or NPC. You’re guaranteed to have a good time!