Thursday, July 5, 2012

10 Questions - Keith "Saegan" Cronyn

Keith "Saegan" Cronyn
Photo by Frank Rapant
How long have you been playing?
Well, it kind of depends on how you count playing. I first picked up a boffer when I was probably 12, because my friend's uncle got into the Realms for a short period around then. In high school, several of my friends were involved in the game, and we all did backyard events at one of their homes, but there was only maybe a group of 10 of as at any give time. Towards the end of high school I went to two actual events, Big Game Hunt, and Tournaments of Creathorne ( 2002 ), but then I stopped playing after that and went on to college. I didn't actively come back to the game until 3 years ago. So depending on how you want to count it, 3-15 years.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
Fancy new materials. Other than that, not much.

Who have you learned the most from?
For fighting, off the field, Chris Marques fighter's manual, the view from the Valehaven articles on fighting, and some various videos I've found have been very helpful. On the field, anyone who can regularly kick my butt has taught me something. Jamison Bancroft certainly has done a lot in the way of that. That's a hard question, I pick things up very piecemeal. However, notable mentions are definitely, Neil Tozier, Chris Marques, Ben Greene, Dave Dolph, Joe Fantasia, James Murphy, and Kevin Weeks. To be honest, I could keep going. I've learned a lot of tricks from a lot of people.

What was your best moment IC?
Easily, the siege battle that lead to the PCs defeating Iculous. Soooo intense.

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
I've played a lot of crunchies, and anytime I can draw more than three PCs onto me, and keep them occupied for a decent amount of time ( as far as fights go. ) I'm pretty pleased, as an NPC. But as a player, I had a really rough time a month ago, and the community was really there for me. I can't tell you how many people asked me how I was doing, and offered advise or support in general. It was really nice to see.

Photo by Erin Martin

What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
I feel that we have a community that could successfully support PvP  in character, while not taking it out of character, we just need some In character rivalries to sprout up.

What advice would you give new players?
If you want to be the best at something, be the best at it. If you want the fastest heal limb, practice while you're driving, practice in the mirror. Have your friends through tennis balls at you and practice avoiding them while not moving your feet, and saying your verbal.

If you want to be the best fighter, go to practice. Fight everyone. Over, and over, and over. Don't get discouraged, take it as a challenge.

Find new ways to improve yourself, and then teach them to everyone else.

What do you love most about the game?
The escapism. The competition. The fun.

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Neil Tozier

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?