Wednesday, August 15, 2012

10 Questions - Kyle "Killian" Yazinka

Kyle "Killian" Yazinka

Photo by Angela Earle Gray
How long have you been playing?
I started in the Spring of 2004. The event was Plot Happens at Lone Tree in Kingston.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
For me the game has kinda changed a lot. I started out when I was 14 and I saw the game as a fun camping trip with my friends where we just ate junk food and goofed around. Now it’s more a competitive game to me almost like a sports team.

Who have you learned the most from?

Temorse (Tucker) has been a huge part of the game for me. He is always pushing me to get better in both fighting and when i was a one path making my spells and using them efficiently. He has also force me to attend events and after the Blue Falcons disbanded made sure i didn’t just quit.

What was your best moment IC?
North/South War a few years ago before Ashenmark was a nation. This year the event staff decided to add a water entrance to the battle. So Temorse and I helped our team attack through the water. Grimloch were defending the entrance and pushed us back to the dock but a few of us had died in the water. I remember XT and other Grimloch members decided to try a counter push and while they were busy fighting our fighters I jumped past them and raised two of our dead fighters in the water before I was killed. With those two fighters and the others on the dock we pushed through and then won that castle battle.

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
Leviathan 2010, all of Ashenmark and most of Grimloch were NPCing and Aeston wanted us outside to get ready for the upcoming questing party. The PCs ended up taking a bit longer than expected and with the group of NPC that we had you couldn’t really leave us alone for that long without us getting into trouble. Grott came up with the great idea to make snowballs to throw at the PCs because they made us wait. So for probably 15-20 minutes we made snowballs. And when the PCs finally came out on their quest they were met with a volley of snowballs. 

Photo by Patricia Pomerleau


What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
I would like to see more of a competitive outlook on the game by more people, making tourneys harder to compete in. Also I would like more aggressive marshaling at events. In the heat of the moment it is easy to mess up calling armor or forgetting how many raises you have left. It helps people learn to play fair and honest. 

What advice would you give new players?
When you start out, wait a few months to learn spells. Playing the game as a fighter will help you quite a bit to learn the mechanics of fighting and how to call your shots. A perspective as a fighter will also help you to become a better caster as well, as you will have seen point of views from both sides. Cleaner fighting on both quests and tournaments will help benefit the game as a whole. 

What do you love most about the game?
NPCing. I’m not a big fan of questing but being a crunchy for people while they quest is amazing. (other than masks getting smashed into your face). Both single tournaments and group tournaments is why I like play the game. I love a competitive environment where people push each other to do their best. 

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Adam Landry/Damien of Grimloch 

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Nope