Thursday, May 9, 2019

Feast of Chimeron’s New Bardic Tradition


By Crystal “Cressida” Welch

This past weekend at Feast of Chimeron 27, I decided it was time for a new tradition, one that I hope catches on with other nations. Instead of a bardic competition for the title of Royal Bard of Chimeron, I thought we should stop competing and start recognizing the many different talented bards in the Realms. Instead of a title, bards who participate in the new Bardic Exhibition will receive a sash and an unique event badge. This year only, we offered a fancy sash to the first ever participants, as well as this year’s FOC badge, a golden rowan leaf. It was all very well received as I had ten different bards, including new bards and returning bards, participating. I received feedback that because of the new format, several bards were willing to take up their songs and stories once more without fear of embarrassment in a competitive setting. I was also approached after by several newbies who now want to become bards after seeing everyone perform. It has been my goal for a little while now to find a way to encourage bards to do what they do and to reward them for it. I hope the success I saw this weekend continues on for many years and that one day I will see the sashes filled with badges.


Aiden performs an original historical ballad

Fortuna returns to the bardic stage for the first time in several years
Sharlindra tells the tale of a time she seduced an army of Drow

Tarnisha leads the hall in a classic Chimeronian favorite

Sharlindra plays the part of "Buttercup the Dwarven Woman" in Cressida's improvisational bardic
All photo credits: Dennis and Kim Coffey