Friday, December 1, 2023

Jerry Pearce, Pawldo, 30 years of skin in the game

 by Kyra Barry

Towards the end of September an anniversary passed, marking Jerry Pearce's 30th year in this game. Jerry plays the HalfLing werewolf, Lord Sir Pawldo of Alifon, sworn to the nation of Chimeron. From his profile on Realmsnet.net, his first quest “was in late September 993, RSR, fighting against Prospero in the aftermath of the first Wayland War.”

photo by Kersten Prince

Lord Sir Pawldo of Alifon's titles have grown since his first quest, his most recent being at Black and White where he picked up the title of Seneschal of Chimeron. His titles span: Knight of Garm; Royal House of Chimeron; Seneschal of Chimeron; Master of the Single Short; Journeyman of the Spoon; Apprentice of The Pack, and perhaps more he did not tell me.

He was recognized as vassal by Queen Meg and as part of the Chimeron Royal House by King Pyr. Just recently he was recognized by King Cecil for the aforementioned title of Seneschal. It’s a role I am not surprised Cecil bestowed upon Pawldo. Cecil described it as a title for one who acts for those of Chimeron without a subnation, and I can say wholeheartedly Pawldo, and by extension Jerry, is a good fit.

It's difficult to find pictures of Jerry, let alone Pawldo. His contributions to the game and dedication to balance include many events where he's manning the Western Flank or staffing the kitchen as a member of the Servant's Guild.

photo by Kersten Prince

Jerry is more active at fight practices and workshops than events, and I've had the pleasure to get to know Pawldo over e-questing and Jerry over chats and at fight practices, where he's quick with his blocks. His fighting skill is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of him. I think of a person who’s even tempered and willing to engage, treating newer folk as people worth listening to.


“He was the first person I met at fight practice. He’s been one of my greatest supporters the whole time I’ve been playing” - Becky Baron, Kovaks.

 

The story of his knighting to Garm was incidental yet he roleplays it with dedication. As Ethan Goldman of John Baptiste fame put it:


"Pawldo is a Knight of Garm, and an absolute FANATIC, he heard Garm is a dog, he becomes a werewolf. Dies constantly and always somehow stops being dead, because he will NOT break his fifty/fifty streak. Balance’s strongest regenerator."

 

That man's 50/50 streak can’t be beat.

Amusingly Pawldo was so named before the character became a werewolf, or a Knight of Garm, becoming exposed to werewolf blood and joining that healer's Guild early on in his Realms career. That’s a story to ask him yourself. Although the Pack has become less active Jerry carries on their traditions through his roleplay of Pawldo and Pawldo's magic.

photo courtesy of the Chimeron website


I’ve experienced this flavoring in one of my character’s fondest memories, that follows a traumatic memory of losing his leg and being trapped in a place plagued by unknown monsters and horrors. Due to intervening magic he was able to escape to safety, and Pawldo was among those who came and comforted him. Pawldo gave up one of his Heal Limbs to regrow Omri’s leg, with the flavor of using his werewolf blood to facilitate the process. To this day my character has yet to see another Regrow Limb and carries on the belief blood must be shared. The love shared and reassurance of safety, in no small part from Pawldo, is why that memory continues to be one of my and my character’s fondest memories.


“Jerry cares. He cares a lot. Many of us are vocal about how much we care for the community. Jerry shows his passion through service, as he always has. It is not that Jerry lacks opinions - he just lets his actions do the talking. Thankfully for us all, Jerry's main opinion seems to be that we all deserve tasty feast food, help supporting new players, and dry humor in spades.” - Matt Brenner, Cecil.

 

He's not often in the spotlight, a true supporter to fellow oldbies and to newbies alike. There are times where he steps up, takes charge when it’s needed, and corrals the herd of cats that are adventurers. He’s more likely to spot someone he thinks fits the role or could if encouraged, and does just that, encourage them.

photo by Jason Rosa

I asked him once what his favorite part of being in Realms were.


“As a player: seeing the continuation of 1st year to keen rising star to vet to teacher.

As a character: seeing how my continued presence makes sure that threats to those I care about are pushed back so that they can continue to grow and excel.”


He's certainly overseen the growth of many people. 


I’m at the age where there aren’t too many people still around that were veterans by the time that I started playing, but Jerry was certainly one of them. From the very beginning of my time in Realms, Jerry was a friend, a mentor, and an example worth following. 

Service towards the game is one of the most important ideals that keeps the Realms a strong and enduring community. Generations of Worcester Realmsies have learned that lesson from Jerry, stretching all the way back to myself and the other newbies of my era. From grunt NPCing to serving to setting and cleaning up sites, Jerry has always been one of the first to volunteer to help in any way he could to make events successful and to elevate the people around him. His kindness, humility, and compassion always shine through.

I am extremely glad I had the opportunity to learn from Jerry but am even more glad that today’s newbies get to benefit from that same experience. I can’t imagine a better person to be an ambassador of the Realms and to make sure newer players grow into roles and responsibilities that suit them best. I’m honored to call him my friend and thrilled to celebrate his 30th year in the Realms.” - Jason Rosa, Aeston

 

Another notable memory where Jerry’s presence actively elevated my enjoyment in the game includes him drawing on mutual experiences and knowledge, and a gift from my character to his. It became an experience that required both of us and our input. It was something he could've easily done on his own if he had wanted to, although it would have gone differently. There are always other routes. But he actively chooses the ones that causes collaborations and efforts from all involved. He drew me in and together we did something meaningful that was only possible through our combined efforts.


photo by Kersten Prince


I honestly hope that when it’s time for me to hit the 30 year mark I can emulate the sort of person Jerry Pearce is. He’s a wonderful friend and a valued member of our community. I’m very glad to have had the pleasure to get to know him.