Wednesday, March 6, 2024

What You Missed - Knights of the Sable Dragon and the Wyvern College Training Day [Pt. 1]

by: Kelly "Fern" Perfetto

I must start by saying that I am biased about this event, as a squire to the Knights of the Sable Dragon and a professor at the Wyvern College. Still, I think this past Saturday was an excellent showing of the skills and knowledge the people of the Realms have to offer. 

Before classes began, everyone was mingling in the common room, eating finger foods. There were folks from across many nations and experience levels, and at least four completely new faces. For the first hour after everyone dispersed I was still getting everything in order and greeting newcomers. I traveled around to each of those classes collecting pictures of Alias with sign language, Odd with embroidery, Tao with an introduction to gambling, Mayumi and Aranel with a tunic workshop, and Aelias’s well attended dueling practice. 

Next I was off to Tefarah’s Introduction to Ouchium, where they told us about various materials which hurt specific beings more than others. Think cold iron and silver. To round out the lesson, Tefarah directed us to some problems at the school; a ghost, an escaped minor demon, and a semi-corporeal clockwork being. Please note: If you summon a demon or devil at the Wyvern College, please inform staff immediately. 

My class focused on the Knights of the Aberrant Gate and the threat they pose to the Realms. I felt that we had good conversations, and shared important information. 

After speaking poorly of powerful necromantic knights for about an hour, I ran off into the woods with only a dagger. Really though, this was for instruction in Physical Reconnaissance. Myself and a handful of others are now certified to conduct scouting missions in Gi. I cannot quite say I am excited as it sounds dangerous and harrowing, but I look forward to being able to help. 

The final class I attended was Ryu and Grarr’s Introduction to Leather Tooling and Dyeing. I did not get to spend much time here, but I was quite impressed with the designs and patterns I saw other students making. 

The day concluded with the kitchen asking everyone to take some of the remaining delicious food home, and everyone left knowing a bit more than they arrived with.