Friday, August 7, 2026

Why I Want To Go - Queen of Hearts XXXI Knave of Hearts

 By: Adrian Cronin 

This year is my ten year anniversary in the realms. Queen of Hearts was my second event and by far the most intense crash course the realms has to offer. My friends and I found the game through a simple google search and decided to give it a shot. We had pvc weapons, no armor and got our asses handed to us all day long. There were four teams back then, rushing back and forth across the field with an intensity I could never have anticipated. My memory of that event is so vivid. We met the friends who would become my church, and my nation. I wrote a song on site and won the bardic tourney, only for my trophy to get handed to the wrong person and never be seen again. I got piked in the face. I got yelled at. It was legendary.

Coming back to the event over the years, it has faced multiple evolutions to survive the times while still managing to retain the same staples we all love and enjoy. Like jilted lovers, we complain to Sir Aeston and he takes it in stride. Managing to create something interesting for us all to enjoy. I have high hopes for this year.

With no predetermined teams, we have an opportunity for balance. We can take things down a notch in regards to the intensity. Make the game a bit more approachable, especially with such a large community of players with different desires and expectations regarding what we do.

Ten years ago, the Broken Spears just showed up. And now that’s all we’re asking you to do. Just show up, fight your ass off, call your shots, watch your blow strength and stay hydrated. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate humility, which is a core value of the Broken Spears Free Company than to compete on equal ground with all of you. That field has a lot of history. Plenty of ghosts and at least a few angels. The eyes of the warriors who came before us are upon us. Act accordingly, and do honor to yourself and to them.

When night falls, the most hyped night quest in quite some time will be taking place. So save a bit of steam.

I’ll be honest, I would have loved to have run my team this year. To celebrate Broken Spears on their tenth year and bring the hype of my team's progress to proper conclusion. However I am taking this extra year as an opportunity. To mend broken bonds and prepare the community for the greatest battle the realms has ever seen. 

For next year, Cronin Barbaria will face off against Margaret August. Margaret and I are both committed to putting past strifes behind us and are holding our teams to the highest standards. 

We’ve got a year. My sigil may be a bull but that doesn’t mean I can’t squash beef. Let it end.


Praise Vandor.

-Cronin Barbaria