Friday, March 20, 2015

Fireside Chat with Grindin Starbrook

Photo by Jesse G.



Look, I know as a worshiper of Gaia I should appreciate all the beauty Nature has to offer us.  But I really don't do well in the snow.  Not this much snow.  I chose to stay home with one of my favorite people in the world, Grindin.  At the risk of sounding really old, I have known him since he was a very young man.  As in, not really a man, just a fledgling.  I have seen him grow into a knight, and a leader.  I am very proud to call him my countryman.  
We met in his town of Highmarket, in Ashenmark.  A warm fire in a sparsely decorated inn kept the chill away as we sipped our drinks.  ( I went for mulled wine, Grindin had his beloved mead)

Grindin, what are you most proud of accomplishing?
Getting through and even winning Pressure Point with a team that was smaller than the rest.
Photo by Robyn N


A HUGE bag of money just fell on your lap.  Aside from hiding it from taxation, what do you do with it?
Huge?  Probably start funding some infrastructure for Ashenmark, we need jobs and cities.  Gaia knows our economy needs a kick in the pants.  Roads go a long way towards making commerce attractive to more merchants.


Speaking of pants, tell us where you hang yours after a long day of adventuring.
Highmarket has been my home since Temorse made me a Knight Progenitor of Ashenmark.  I spend most of my time relaxing with nice cold mead.  Plus a good book.


What is your favorite feast dish?
Favorite appetizer has got to be French Onion Soup.  Always a hit.  My favorite entree is usually whatever sort of delicious protein you put together (sans recipe, of course)  And the best dessert?  Cookie dumplings from last year's Ashenbounty!

That question wasn't me fishing for compliments, you can be honest.
Of course not, Aeston would get the same answer.  

So, you're telling us you like Aeston's meat?
It's traditionally delicious.  Just not a Twen meal.  

Lets move on from this.  Who do you most admire?
Kaz.  He has always got the absolute best attitude of anyone Ive ever met.  He's elevated archery and genuine niceness to an art form.  His work with younger adventurers always inspires me as well.
He IS pretty amazing.  

How about your most memorable questing moment?
Hmmm.  First one that comes to mind is at the second Grimloch zombie survival.  I had gotten separated from my friends and was walking through the woods, terrified for my life.  I was surrounded by fireflies,  and got lost while looking at the stars.  Then I heard Temorse talking.  I inched closer and saw what I believe was a bunch of my friends encircled by zombies in a failing Circle of Protection.  As I watched the magic of the circle fade, I crept up and surprise attacked and killed a bunch of the zombies, allowing my friends to escape.  We ran out into the darkness, safe and sound.
Photo by Patty P


Lastly, how has your nation affected you?
Its given me huge amount of pride to be a building block in a nation that has become so well known.  Knowing that I represent my nation informs what decisions I try to make.  


As I gathered my notes to leave, I gave Grindin a hug good bye and told him I love him.  
"I love you too.  And Aeston won't get that response."
Bundled against the bitter cold, I was warmed by time with a dear friend.  Gaia promises Spring is coming.  If you listen, you can hear it stirring.  But until then, Ill be next to my fire.  Come by if you want a chat.