Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Why I'm in Eagle's Rook by Michel "Jace" Venne

Photo by Jesse Gifford
This upcoming Feast of Chimeron will be my second year of Realms and Feast of Folkestone will be my second year of becoming an Eagle’s Rook member. I had a very short turnaround from being a new player to joining a nation. To do so I had to have some sort of conviction that I made the correct decision. That conviction eventually influenced my decision to join Eagle’s Rook.

 In short, I was first introduced to the nation by Owen/Balthazar, who told me many stories about the Knights of Eagle’s Rook and how they represent what a good Knight is. While at first I did not believe Owen, I was treated to something far better than the stories I was told when I actually met the people who are part of the nation.

Early on I have had the chance to speak and interact with every member of Eagle’s Rook as an equal. This experience alone was important to me both as a player and as Jace. What it allowed me to do is really find out who the people of Eagle’s Rook were both in and out-of-game, and whether I would enjoy my time I spent with them. Needless to say, every member of the nation had the qualities that I would look for in both a member of Eagle’s Rook and of a great friend.

The nation is both a nation and a knighthood. Although both are interconnected, one does not need to be a part of the knighthood to be a part of nation. The opposite is true as well; for example Sir Mikael is both a knight of Eagle’s Rook and member of Chimeron. What this does is allows for any member of any nation the chance to be a part of what makes Eagle’s Rook the symbol of Knightly honor it is today.


Overtime I realize how important the heraldry of Eagle’s Rook is both practically and symbolically. With a very small number of active Eagle’s Rook players, you as a member of the nation truly carry the burden of being a bastion of the purity and honor in the Realms. Sometimes I will be alone on a quest or battlefield and without my nation members at my side. My chest will still bear the symbol of the rook that can both guide me to better myself and help me be a positive influence to others around me. It is the symbol that keeps me in check, makes me aware of who I can be, and who I am now. All of the members before me have proven many times over that they have earned the right to be members, Knights of Eagle’s Rook, and have led by example. As a two year member and recently squired, I have to both follow in the footsteps of my predecessors as well as forge my own path that exemplifies the qualities of a member of Eagle’s Rook.

By far the best thing is hanging out with everyone together. We are all busy with our lives but we all take the time to meet and catch up. We check in to see what people are up to and what event will hit next. I know I have been busy with my own stuff which makes me even more excited to meet up with everyone again.

Photo by Jesse Gifford
Along with every nation we have our flaws. Two years ago there were only two active members that identified as Eagle’s Rook. It is very hard to call just two people a nation and only recently has that changed. It will also be difficult as a fair number of our newest members are more than likely to be moving away from New England for school and work (myself included). While as I group I am sure we will all stay connected, our presence as a nation currently suffers from low numbers. We are fortunate enough to occasionally be reinforced by some of the fantastic characters people have chosen as their alternate characters, making Eagle’s Rook the nation with the highest percentage of alternate characters in the Realms.

However low our numbers are, Eagle’s Rook is now over 20 years old. Founded by Sir Gunnar/Steve Johnson, Eagle’s Rook has stood the test of time. For those twenty years, the nation has stood for the same three core parts of one code:

Honor ---- I shall tread only upon the paths of honor, for a true knight knows no other way.

Valor ---- I shall harbor neither fear nor self-doubt, for there is nothing I cannot accomplish.

Truth ---- I shall be true to myself, in word and in deed, in spirit and in arms.

The Eagle’s Rook code drives the nation in game. Out of game, these values are what I do my best to emulate. Most importantly, the kinship with my fellow nation members made Eagle’s Rook the nation I wanted to join.