Thursday, March 26, 2015

Belts of the Eternal Flame

Kyle "Sir Kazmar" Brennan

 

Photo by Jesse Gifford


1. What year were you awarded your white belt?
2010 (Feast of Leviathan). I helped out with plot planning and
execution. What?! Things don't always go as planned! This was the year
Rob and Panther worked the bar and told stories (they do that wherever
they are, they don't need a bar/inn). Syruss was extremely helpful on
the NPC front (thanks a lot, buddy).

 2. Who administered "the punch" and-- be honest!!--did it hurt?
Rob Scarlett punched me, Eldritch held my arms back, the punch impact
was loud (people gasped)...but it was dispersed evenly over my manly
muscles. I punched Rob back, naturally.

3. Whose belt did you wear until you got your own, and how was this
significant for you?
I wore Sir Aeston's belt, it was relevant because he had recently
trickled various leadership opportunities my way. I'm going to take a
moment to stroll down memory lane; here are a couple early memories of
Jason as a youthful player and budding leader.

At a different LARP (Lak World), he was playing a courageous sea
captain who would run head first into battle, even when the odds were
against him! He'd start conflicts with a battle cry and just wade into
the fray. Oddly enough, he had a hard time rallying folks behind his
cause. You see, we were marooned on an island and he wanted folks to
pool their resources together to build a boat. Unfortunately, a "dark
gray" politician convinced folks that we'd never finish the boat
before the winter and would be better off building a fort to survive
the weather. My take away from this was two-fold (1) he was a
dedicated/entertaining player and (2) you gotta try things, even if
you fail.

There may have been an occasion where Sir Aeston accused a few
individuals I associate with of a horrendous crime. And he did this
while outnumbered, in a dark secluded area, without demonstrating
fear. They were totally innocent, but I digress. You know that Paladin
we've all bumped into, the one that gets into trouble for doing silly,
dangerous things because it's right? He nailed it and I'll never
forget his gumption. It may not have worked out exactly as he
expected, but I'm certain it was a memorable experience for him, too.

 4. Please describe your own belt's heraldry.
It's the Southern Wastes symbol, a goblin's silhouette in front of a blood moon.

5. Why did you chose that heraldry to represent you?

Various members of the Southern Wastes mentored me during formative
years. For better or worse, they helped shape me into the person I am
today.

6. Who did the artwork on your belt?

I did (FYI, it's much easier to tape a stencil onto leather and then
burn in the artwork through the stencil).

 7. What do you remember most about your knighting?
Folks said nice things (Randy spoke a few words, I have a copy of
Mike's long-winded speech, Jason was too kind), and some buddies who
used to play made a special appearance that day.

Also, while getting belted, it felt heavy.

8. What does being a KoEF mean to you?

To strive to be a model person and better oneself.

To have achieved peer recognition of prior game service, as well as
gained their confidence in future game endeavors.


Photo by Doug Fisher

 
Photo by Casey Lemay