Friday, October 2, 2026

Why I Want To Go - Ashen Bounty XIII

by: Christina "Adara " Clements


So the autumnal joy of Ashenbounty is once again upon us. So why am I going?


First, Temorse Sorrowind has been leading Ashenmark for more than fifteen years, and this shall be his last court.  While no one is nervous about Umbra and Raynor at the reins, changes in leadership like this are rare.  These sorts of changes mark the time in our game, eras that come and go. I am also going to celebrate the accomplishments of the knight who has done so much for our game over the last 20 years.  Our game and our community would not be nearly the same if this nation had not been founded and had not been so expertly piloted by Sorrowind.  I, perhaps, have a specific understanding of how chaotic this group could have been if not for Temorse. 


Secondly, the food from Ashenmark never disappoints, no matter what hurdles it has to overcome in the remote kitchen.  Why would I miss a chance to eat in Ashenmark? Of course I won’t! Perhaps there will be cheese. It seems like most of the nation takes their food seriously, and I appreciate the dedication. In fact, if I do nothing other than lurk outside the kitchen waiting for new courses to appear it will be a successful day. 


There will be well run and high caliber tournaments to watch, and I do enjoy watching what combat has come to in our game.  Every year the blows get faster, and the weapons get lighter.  There is a great joy in watching the best fighters do their best for the honor and prestige on the tourney list.  I personally enjoy it more when the adrenaline from possible nationwide annihilation is not in play and I can enjoy the art for the sake of the art. If you need the adrenaline rush, the labyrinth is sure to entertain, and perhaps make your pockets a bit heavier.  


Lastly, I am going because Bricochet and Cinder will never forgive me if they miss a chance to either beat up bad guys, steal hats from important people or shake down dead monsters for gold. This event marks their first year in the game and I suspect they will always mark the anniversary.  Who can forget their first event?  


OOC Note:  Generally I need to plan my events far in advance and last year on nearly a whim I returned to Ashenbounty.  I have perhaps never felt such a sense of homecoming as I did then.  We go to events for many reasons, to accomplish things, to stand up for right, because plot compels us, because our friends need help.  As someone who spent too long away, savor that moment when you arrive and you know those around you are the people who see you for who you are, and know you for who you could become.  I have had the pleasure of watching Tucker become a pillar of the Realms and celebrating that will be foremost in my mind all weekend.