Friday, January 16, 2015

Fresh Face- Michael "Swoop" Zajac

Photo by Cara Zajac
How did you learn about Realms?

Strolling through my first club fair in college, I saw there was a table set up for LARP club, though I didn’t see that at first. What I did see was two members dueling in the back, and until that moment I had never believed in love at first sight. There was a practice that same day, and since then I’ve gone to almost every week. When some of the senior members started talking about Black and White, I thought I’d give it a chance and tagged along, and have not regretted it since.

How many events have you been to?

8 so far.

Have you ever LARP’ed before? If so tell us about it?

I had never LARP’ed before, though I had always wanted to learn about fencing and archery and whatnot when I was young.

What is your character like? Where are they from? What is their race? What is important to them?

Swoop is definitely his own person. He’s not afraid to put himself out there, be it on the field or in the feast hall. Fiercely loyal to friend and clan, he would fight to the death for either of them. He hails from the various seafaring vessels that he was raised on, constantly sailing from port to port. After a particularly brutal voyage he ventured in land to see if there was a way to continue traveling minus the terrors of the open sea. He found the young Clan Riverhawks and has been happy ever since.

What do you remember most about your first event?

Getting my butt whooped at Black and White mini-tourneys, winning a bunch of sweet stuff from the auction, and Ezra winning a plethora of pumpkins all comes to mind.

What things have helped to make you feel welcome in game?

The community has been absolutely wonderful in welcoming me into this little world. Everyone I’ve encountered has been gracious in giving of wisdom, guidance and friendship and I can’t thank everyone enough.

What parts of the game do you find most challenging?

The fast pace of combat has given me trouble in keeping up with it. While feeling and calling the shots is manageable, having a very fast engagement with multiple hits on both side at very close intervals of time is difficult to decipher at times.

Do you have any game related goals (as either a player or character)?

As a character, Swoop loves the loot. He loves taking back little treasures back with him. As a player, I’m working very hard to educate myself on all aspects of this game I can learn, from fighting and magic to event holding and drawing in new players. I want to learn as much as possible, so if anyone is willing to share, I’m willing to listen.

What advice would you give other new players?

 When you get to an event, just go out there and suck for a while. If you’re new, you’re not going to be slaying dragons by yourself, and you’ll learn a lot faster if you throw yourself into the thick and die a few times. Stick with your friends and hopefully if they’re good friends they’ll keep you well
enough alive.

Photo by Jesse Gifford
What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?

While I have stated my love of the community previously, something I can always appreciate is the often unscripted hilarious moments that happen during quests and field battles. I can always appreciate a group that can laugh at itself.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?

Never buy half of a bull!