Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fresh Faces- Samuel "Ezra" Teatum

Photo by Dusty Cyr
How did you learn about Realms?
I was introduced to the Realms through SMAS, the LARPing Club at WPI, where I am a freshman.

How many event have you been to?
Five so far. The Black and White was my first, then Joys of Youth 2, Rock and Roll, What Lurks Beneath III, and Childrak’s Secret Lab.

Have you ever LARP’ed before? If so tell us about it?
Nope! I had always wanted to, but never got the opportunity until I went to WPI and decided to check out SMAS on a whim. And I was hooked!

What is your character like? Where are they from? What is their race?What is important to them?
Ok, so Ezra Chandler is a human seer without any control of his powers. He just started getting these uncontrollable visions when he was, uh, let’s say 13 years old. Anyway, he was young enough to not know to keep his mouth shut about them, and since he lived in a very small, geographically isolated village, he was accused of being a demon by the village elder, and had to flee for his life. And now, six years later, he’s hanging around with the Chimeron Militia and trying to figure out where his powers come from and how to control them.

What do you remember most about your first event?
Well, It was the Black and White, and Blue had appeared near the tournament field. Eventually a clueless newbie (like me!) picked it up, nature took its course, and Blue ended up smack-dab in the middle of the tournament field. So in the next game we have on the field, someone (I think it was Kahlenar) dashes out, grabs Blue, and runs screaming at the other team’s line. He kill a few, drops, and suddenly we have Blue rampaging through the enemy lines. Hilarity ensues. Oh, and seeing court held was pretty incredible too, but that isn’t as great an anecdote.

What things have helped to make you feel welcome in game?
Photo by Angela Gray
The people! Almost everyone I’ve met has been really welcoming, and incredibly tolerant of my newbie-ness. Also, having a group to belong to right off the bat(the Chimeron Militia) has helped a lot.

What parts of the game do you find most challenging?
I’m not exactly the best fighter in the world. Really need to work on that “not dying” thing I keep hearing about.

Do you have any game related goals (as either a player or character)?
Ezra, at the moment, just wants to figure out why he keeps getting these visions and how to control them. I just want to learn how to be a better player in general right now.

What advice would you give other new players?
Don’t be afraid to ask stupid questions! You’re going to need to know the answers eventually anyway.

What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?
Hmm… that’s a tough one. Maybe the fun I’m having figuring out and developing my character. Maybe the fighting. Maybe all the friends I’ve made. Maybe all of the above.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Thanks to everyone who’s been so welcoming of my fellow newbies and me! You guys are great.