Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Why I Want To Go-Black and White 2017

By Lani "Gwen" Grayson

I honestly cannot believe it’s been a year since the last Black and White Masquerade Ball, but I’m really looking forward to celebrating the fall season and the Day of the Dead with all of you in the Realms. Black and White has a special place in my heart because this is the first event we at the Society for Medieval Arts and Combat typically bring our newbies to because it features so many wonderful things that the Realms has to offer. (I also love it because I was squired at Black and White and also took my first squire years later at Black and White.) This event showcases all of the variety of the Realms. There will be delicious food all day, and honestly, who can resist favorites like crabbies, deviled eggs, and poison punch? In addition, the day will be filled with gambling, shopping, questing, and tournaments. It also seems likely, from past experience, that we might just have to deal with Blue, that rascal.

I love that Black and White is an event that allows for a costume change, because for many of us the best part is getting all fancied up and enjoying the evening festivities. My personal favorites include the auction and court, but there will also be dancing, gambling, and socializing. And, lest I forget, we are also invited to taste dessert in the evening, despite that fact that many of us wearing bodices are constrained more than we would usually be around such delicacies. Black and White has a little bit of everything for everyone. You won’t regret taking the time to make this event, I guarantee it.