Friday, February 16, 2018

Fireside Chat with Therian

I am sure you all know of Therian.  He is not an attention seeker, but he stands out in a crowd.  You know, the tall, silent type.  His leather wares are beautiful, he has skill with weapons and cards.  If you are very, very lucky, you might have heard him sing.  A man of many talents I am lucky enough to call a friend.  We sat down over a well worn table.  It felt a little strange asking an old friend such basic questions, but this is for you, readers, not for me.  
~Twen

·  Where are your parents today?
Dead.  It’s ok: they died of natural causes about 15 years ago.  And by “natural causes”, I mean my father was killed hunting a bear.  My mother followed soon after by tracking the same bear.  If you want, I can show you some time, the pelt is in my tannery.  The bear, not my parents.  That would be gross.

·   What are you most proud of accomplishing?
Living this long without losing my connection with Gaia.  I mean so many people walk around, severed from nature and creation.  They are lost and broken.  They are alone and isolated.  While I may not be practicing magic at the moment, I am still connected to the world.  I consider myself very fortunate.

·   What is your next quest?
I am not certain about that.  I am pretty sure I will be going on another long sea voyage.  Hopefully minus the being stuck in Painful Limbo.  Also sure I will be going back to the universe that wants to die from a lot of rocks, or something like that.  They seem pretty determined to end it all.  Who am I to stop the cycle?

·   If you could be granted any wish, what would it be?
I will be honest, I don’t think along those lines.  I try to make my life as best I can with what I have.  I find powerful desires or magics like your suggestion tend to lead to a bad trade off.  Wish for all Necromancers and such magic to never be allowed here again?  They all go into the past and erase the universe.  Wish for a ham sandwich?  It’s made from zombie ham.  I am not sure if I had a real opportunity as you suggest that I would ever try to use it.  It seems like... cheating.

·  Tell us about your favorite feast dish.
I don’t eat often at feasts, or eat enough to have a favorite dish, so it is not something I can remark on in any detail.  I will say that the food at Highbridge last year was by far the best I have ever had.  But as someone who spends a lot of time living off jerky and what I can forage, my perspective may be skewed in this area. 

·  Who do you admire most and why? 
… I see others I respect as my equal in this world.  Clearly there are many with better skills than myself, or different skills.  To admire implies a level of placing another over myself.  I admire skill and wisdom IN others, not other people.  While I see a greatness in many, I do not place the creature as above me.  Perhaps if you can rephrase the question, I can give a better answer.  I mean, you seek to know those that have influenced me, or that drive me forward.  My lessons come from observing and listening.  I apologize, but there is no one, no single creature that I would apply this word to.

·  Tell me about your first adventure?
Well, I was tired from the process of leaving the womb.  … Somehow I don’t think that is what you meant.  I have had many “adventures” in my life.  However I did not become an adventurer until my mid 30s.  I was made aware that, beyond the Felwood, there was a lot more of the world that could benefit from my skills.  And so at the Mistress’ request, I set forth.  I don’t remember a whole lot because of being lost at sea last year (Painful Limbo is still having some difficulties on my mind).  I just remember there were many people wandering into the woods with no sense of the environment and were getting slaughtered.  So I came to save them from themselves.

·  In every life, there is a defining moment.  Tell us about yours.
The sum total of all the choices I have made is what defines me.  I tend to live in the present, and do not dwell much on the past or future.  However, if I need to pick one, I guess when I established the Knights of the Hinterlands, this was able to bring my work in the wider Realms into focus.  I now understand with more clarity the lessons the world teaches me, and how I can relay this to others on their journey.

·  Feel free and expound upon anything you would like.
Alright.  Crowds make me uncomfortable, but not because of the close proximity of the creatures.  What makes me uncomfortable is the large amount of severed people, not being able to connect with them.  It tends to keep me more reserved than I probably should be.  It’s like being surrounded by a sea of sadness.  Over the years, I have gotten better used to it.  But it is still not easy.

·  What was your life like before you began adventuring? 
I was, and still am, the caretaker for the Felwood, which is one of the last forests in the Realms protected by Gaia.  In my lifetime, the towns that used to be near it moved away, and the wood was left somewhat alone.  In my late 20s, I was called on to take on a great role as caretaker and have taken steps to ensure its ability to protect itself.  I could talk in great detail about what has been established in the past 27 years, but I think this is a bit much of a single evening chat.

·  Where and how do you spend your time when you're not adventuring?
Mostly at my home.  It is mostly under ground and is designed to be hidden, molded into the landscape.  I have worked with the Dwarves and with the Elves to make sure the home is well fortified, even within a secure forest.  I have found in the recent years that my time there is not as much as I desire, since I have spent more time selling my leather craft and attempting to hone my skills as a fighter.  So I spend a lot of time these days walking the lands of the Realms, talking with the common folk and learning about the various people and places, while selling my simple items.  Yes, I am considered a Lord now, and a Knight and some other titles. But it is the commoner that is the life blood of our people.  Knowing them, seeing to their happiness, is important.  And so I do what I can.


There you go, your brief introduction to Therian.  Use it to learn more from him.  You will not regret it, I promise you.  If you need me, check the comfy chair by the fire.  I am always up for  good chat.  
                                            Love, 
                                              Twen