Friday, October 24, 2014

Fresh Faces Macayla Wells


Photo by Jesse Gifford




How did you learn about Realms?
I learned about the realms through Mitty "Siobhan Cridnhe" Magoo and Rob "Widget" Luger just this year. I attended one event just before Creathorne and I was hooked immediately. There was just something about watching dozens of people trotting around a forest, clad in chain mail and slapping eachother about with foam weapons that made me think "I've found my people!"





How many event have you been to?
So far I believe I've attended 7 or 8 events. My first being Casey "Karmha Celestine" Lemay's Dragon Quest event. I'm very excited to say that Black & White will be my 9th (or 8th) event.

Have you ever LARP’ed before?  If so tell us about it?
Yes! No? Sort of.. I suppose if a variety of one day zombie LARPs counts then I've been at this for a little while, just in a vastly different environment. I've done my fair share of post-apocalyptic LARPing but never a fantasy/fighting focused LARP.  Don't tell anyone but I'll take camping in the middle of somewhere over running around a warehouse trying to avoid the blood spitting biter three feet to the left any day.

What is your character like?  Where are they from? What is their race? What is important to them? 
Sarabi Nadir, (simply Sarabi or small cat to some) is a sand cat from the deserts of the far West.  The Nadir family has had a long standing tradition of traveling from the burrows and to the wetlands to learn their way of magic... And to steal, extort, and murder. Sarabi's adamant refusal to learn her family's sheisty ways infuriated them. One day she woke up to find the burrows empty. As she was in her first few days of traveling East, Sarabi came across the satyr Siobhan who, other than squealing excitedly at the small size of a sand cat, offered to bring her along as they traveled.

Since arriving to the Realms, Sarabi has been as all cats are; generally disinterested in anything that she can't chase, eat, or sleep on. But when her tail isn't dragging on the ground, Sarabi tends to be a bouncy, smiling, cheerful little cat who will gnaw out the eyes of any undead or threat that encroaches on the people she considers her family as they are most important to her.  Fame and money are petty things to her that she doesn't, often,concern herself with.

What do you remember most about your first event?
A number of arrows landing in particularly painful areas of the male anatomy, one of which causing a gentleman to tumble off a short wall. He laughed. The bowman laughed. I laughed. Every one in the immediate are laughed. Twas a good moment in time.

Photo by Jesse Gifford


What things have helped to make you feel welcome in game?
The people I've met since being a part of this game have helped me to understand it considerably.

What parts of the game do you find most challenging?
Honestly, the fighting. It's not difficult to pick up a sword and flail about, hoping to hit someone (because you just may). It's learning this particular style of fighting that throws me a little.

Do you have any game related goals (as either a player or character)?
Maybe some day, when I'm all grown up, I can be a Knight.

What advice would you give other new players?
Regardless of what happens in game, don't ever let it get to you out of game. Stuff goes down that doesn't need to go down if you allow these two worlds to merge like that. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions; there are a variety of ways to learn but experience isn't always the best first option. Most importantly, get to know the people! Sit down at Garharz's table and play cards, attend a feast and talk to people, spend some time around a fire. The more you get to know people the more fun everything can be. :]

What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?
The fun! The games! The questing! The shenanigans! Fire pits and wine, gambling and dancing. Beautiful people and wonderful new friends. I've had an absolute blast. What isn't there to love?


Photo by Jesse Gifford


 A
nything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
Try not to shoot the sheriff.