Friday, February 8, 2013

Fresh Face- David "Tirvanel" Rubenstein

Photo by Matt Norris
How did you learn about Realms?
I learned about the realms through the WPI SMAS organization which runs an open fight practice weekly, as well as a club only fight practice. I knew that there was a LARP group on campus even before meeting anyone from SMAS, so I already had plans to seek them out.

How many events have you been to?
Since I started playing, I have attended 16 events, of which two were not legal due to player numbers. 

Have you ever LARP’ed before? If so tell us about it?
I have previously LARP’ed at a summer camp known as The Wayfinder Experience, both as a camper and a junior staff member. It uses weapons that have significantly more foam on them than boff weapons, as well as significantly less PVC. There is a much higher focus on roleplaying at Wayfinder compared to the Realms. Another major difference between the two is Wayfinder doesn’t have a continuing storyline, but instead runs completely independent games,
with almost no character continuity.

What is your character like? Where are they from? What is their race? What is important to them?
My character is Tirvanel Fuller. He has a strong devotion to his friends, and will do almost anything to help them. He has recently become a follower of Aurora. Due to unfortunate events regarding his memories shortly before beginning adventuring, he has no memories of where he is from, or even who his parents are. His race is something that he currently shares with only a few people. His closest companion is his familiar, Tigris, an occasionally size changing cat.

What do you remember most about your first event?
My first event was Storytellers 7. I came in slightly late to the event, due to when I was able to get a ride. As all my friends were NPCing the first quest, I came in knowing nobody. This was a little hard for me, as none of the PCs were sure who I was, or if I was even a PC vs NPC.

What things have helped to make you feel welcome in game?
Having a group of friends I knew going in was really helpful for me. It is always easier having someone you know already rather than going into completely unfamiliar territory.

What parts of the game do you find most challenging?
I find a fair amount of challenge in fighting, as I am not the most physically fit person. Another challenge I have run across sometimes is during “open-area” quests is deciding which areas to go to first. It always seems like we want to go everywhere, and getting people to decide on where to go is always a struggle.

Do you have any game related goals (as either a player or character)?
 My largest goal for this year is to qualify for the Order of the List Invitational this year. I currently have two points from getting third in dagger at the Feast of the Leviathan. The biggest goal I have in character is to find out more about my past. Eventually I think I want to, at the very least, become a squire to one of the knightly orders.



What advice would you give other new players?
Get to know people. Other people are probably your greatest resource possible. The number of
things you can learn from other people is unbelievable. I would also suggest attending a fight practice if there is one near you.

What have you enjoyed most about the game so far?
I have really enjoyed playing one character who sticks around. In my other LARP, I will play a character for just long enough to start getting attached to the character, and then the event will end, and that exact character will never return.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
I want to thank everyone who has put up with dealing with backstory plot being run outside of events with regards to my character. Even when I want to get stuff done at unusual times, you have been able to work something out with regards to meeting up.