Monday, January 5, 2015

How do I select who I am going to work with and establish the relationship of Knight to Squire: by Henry "Gulliam" Giasson

How do I select who I am going to work with and establish the relationship of Knight to Squire:
In support of this series of articles, I will try to articulate how I go about considering who I will work with specifically as a squire. Allow me to first say that I am willing to work with anyone who comes to me with respect and a desire to learn. The process of establishing a squire to knight relationship is a bit different.

A knight that I respect once said that he squires someone that he sees as a Knight already. I don’t quite go that far, but I do squire only someone who I see the potential in, and see that potential as strong. For my part, I look at potential for leadership, desire for excellence, and the aptitude to learn and achieve competences. When I selected my first squire, he was an intelligent player who had been a caster and a fighter. He understood the system all around and wanted to achieve more. He had some learning curves, but was not someone who was malicious. He expressed a desire to learn and achieve. My second squire was someone who initially I had very little in common with. Ironically, we discovered we had a lot in common. He, again, was intelligent, well spoken, proficient, and had the desire to strive to greatness. The next person that I would work closely with is someone who I was asked to by my order. Initially I was uncertain about him, but immediately he demonstrated an excellence beyond what I expected and was taking initiative to be a standard bearer in his peer group and in the realms.

When I have a squire, I expect them to learn the game in all of its aspects. I expect someone to: know combat and do it well and safely; know the spell system; be able to marshal (combat, magic, and questing); make costume; make and inspect armor; make and inspect weapons; throw an event; learn how rank in the realms society works and respect the chain of command; know the command structure of major nations; know knights from all prominent orders;  and understand the IC social workings of the realms. When I was a squire to Nate Carr (Sir Aelias), he said something profound to me. “a leader is above and before all else, a Positive Influence”. I expect a squire and a knight to be that influence on others and on the game. I hold a very high standard and very high expectations. I expect excellence, or at the very least a constant effort to achieve and learn more. Another thing that I learned from Nate is that regardless of my own proficiencies, I am not the best at everything. Outside influence is huge to the learning curve. Nate had me learn every weapon style from 2 different knights in the realms. I learned leatherworking from 2 different people, sewed with at least 2 different people, etc. This gave me different thoughts, mentorships, and forced me to become familiar with people whom I might otherwise not have known and from well outside of my peer group. I spent events shadowing magic marshals and magic marshaled events. I was primarily a fighter character, but I NPC’ed casters, played my alt caster, and was quizzed and even advised Nate on spell application at events. I say all of this not to tout what my squireship was nor to show my resume. It is to give an idea as to what I expect and where those expectations came from. When I am looking at who I will mentor to the squire to knight level, I look at someone who can learn, is willing to push, is active enough to mentor and track, and who genuinely has the potential for greatness. I also look for a certain dedication and resiliency. It is a long road with me.

I also usually start scouting someone well before the conversation of squiring ever comes into play. Sometimes it is because they approach me and ask to learn. Sometimes even just one quick lesson unrelated to being a knight. Sometimes it is someone who just catches my interest through working with them or noticing how they carry themselves and what they do. I would say, if you want to work with me, walk up and ask. If it is wanting to work on a specific skill set that you think that I can assist you with, or wanting to pursue the relationship through to knighthood be up front with me.

The final thing that I look for is how someone does or does not fit into an order that I am a knight in. In order for me to have one of my orders’ support in Knighting an individual, I have to believe, and have others believe, that they will well represent that order and have the mission of that knighthood reflected in their deeds.