Monday, January 19, 2015

Making a Difference- UCCT Auction Wrap Up

While I am really a huge (and possibly annoying) advocate of keeping events as IC as possible, I confess to breaking the barrier at Uncle Cecil's this year.  And the truth?  I don't feel bad.

The many auctions that have been popping up help us make a real world difference as a group.  This year's auction marks, I think, the 13th charity auction I have helped organized.  And it was the most productive year yet.  When I contacted the new charity, War Dogs Making it Home, I told them the donation amount might not be much.  I warned them that it was a small auction being run at our holiday party.  They didn't ask who "we" were, and I didn't offer the information right away.  Heather, the woman I was in touch with, emailed me pictures and a brochure I had printed out.  She promised they would be grateful for anything we could do.

This year set a new record for donations with this auction. We raised over $800 for War Dogs.  Heather asked for information about our company, so I came clean and told her about LARPing.  After not hearing from her for a few days, I was sure she thought we were demon worshippers, and just ran.

Instead, she sent me this email, which I want all of you to read:

Dear Kelly,

WoW!!  I am so overjoyed and touched by all you and those attending your annual Christmas party fundraiser.  That is absolutely amazing!!  I am so touched by the generosity of others.  Honestly, we couldn't do it without everyone who believes and supports us in our cause.  I have been able to see first hand how these rescued service dogs have changed the veterans' lives for the better.  
I think your group sounds absolutely amazing!  If I lived closer, I would be asking you how I could join you guys!  :)  It sounds like good-hearted fun, with lovely people.  
Honestly, thank you so much for everything you have done.  We are so very grateful, and I know the veterans feel the same.  We already have four new veterans that will be beginning our program in the start of the year.  You guys have helped us make that possible.

We made a special post in your honor today.  Please check it out at:  https://www.facebook.com/WarDogsMakingItHome.

Have a happy and healthy new year!  Keep enjoying that lovely group of yours!



Because of what we did, 4 dogs' lives were saved, and those 4 dogs will be helping war veterans live happy and healthy lives.

YOU did this.  YOU donated money, time, and items to make a difference.  YOU MADE THIS POSSIBLE.

Thank you all so much.