Thursday, September 11, 2014

Artist Profile- Owen "Baltazar" West

What mediums do you work in?
I have worked in Charcoal and water color as well as pencil, but most of my work is digital.

Have you had any formal art training?
I have taken a number of classes, all of which as part of my training as a game artist at WPI. Classes included classic art, figure drawing, animation, the study of light, and concept art.

Where do you find inspiration?
A lot of the work I do is landscape and environment art, so it makes sense that I take a lot of inspiration from old architecture and landscapes.



Has your art been influenced by Realms? If so, how?
I have done a number of pieces for the realms, including a number of maps of Eaglesrook. The ongoing realmscraft project also has a full representation of Eagle's Rook which is very close to my heart. I have also contributed art to the omnibus of the realms. Currently, I am working on a full color, table size map of the realms which will most likely come up for auction next year as well as a secret project for Eagle's Rook.

But more than any art I have completed for the realms, the realms has influenced my art style as a whole. I have always been fascinated by the medieval era, and the realms is the manifestation of my enthusiasm for that lifestyle. Most notably, I have gained a far better understanding of armor through making some of my own and seeing what other people have created. #batsyruss

Where do you share your work?
You can find a selection of my work at www.owenwest.net 

What project/projects that you've created have you been particularly proud of?
I wouldn't say I am particularly proud of any one project I have completed just yet, but I am certainly happy with the progress I have made and look forward to continuing to improve in the future.

What projects do you hope to complete in the future?
I hope to do more figure drawing and portrait art in the future and get into watercolor and oil painting of landscapes. My aunt is a landscape painter and I cant help but admire some of her work that we have around the house.

What other Realms artists work do you enjoy?
I really enjoy Carol Eddy's work, but as I write this I reflect that I have not seen as much realms work as there obviously is. I shall be on the look out.

In the meantime, I really enjoy Effa's work as well- yes its leather but I think that is an important aspect to consider that might otherwise be missed. I am getting into leather working myself and just last weekend got top shelf advice from her.