Friday, September 19, 2014

Jeremy "Nighthawk" Grayson

Photo by Robyn Nielsen
How long have you been playing?
My first event was The Brenda Armageddon, Labor Day Weekend 1996, although I had attended practices in CT before that.

How has the game changed since you've been playing?
Weapons have gotten lighter and it has sped up combat and made it more accessible to the  less burly crowd. Tournament fighting has become more prevalent, partially due to the Order of the list and its members.  I think your average quester has become much more reliant on spells and seer magic to solve problems, instead of critical thinking.

Who have you learned the most from?
I have learned from almost every person whom I have had continued contact with in and out of game.  To all of you, I thank you.   To Dave Dolph, thank you for being goofy with a first event newbie who was out of his element.

Photo by Robyn Nielsen
What was your best moment IC?
Being knighted. All of them.

What was your best moment as a NPC/EH/Player?
There are several: helping Lani and Alysha throw their first event, winning the “Most Dependable to Help an Event Holder” view award, being involved in Lani winning her first “Best Feast” award.  Any time I can help the new people in our game learn how it works.

What would you like to see changed or developed more in game?
I think combat has a little way to go. Armor calling seems to be the issue I see the most; increasing armor use at practice will hopefully fix this. If not, we might need a more drastic change. The Spell System… it is bloated and needs to be changed or pruned.
Somewhere the rules interpretations changed from, “if the Omnibus doesn’t say something is legal, I can’t do it” to “if it doesn't say I can’t, I can.” This is a bad understanding shift.

What advice would you give new players?
Photo by Jesse Gifford
Learn to separate the player from the character. Ask for help and input. Try new things in game. The most important things in the game are to not cheat and have fun.

What do you love most about the game?
The people. All of my longest and closest friends are from game.

Who would you like to see the next interview be with?
Dave Dolph, but as of this printing his Interview was published (and be read here), and Travis Wilcox.

Anything else you'd like to take the opportunity to put into print?
NPC more, there are almost never enough.